Being beautiful is about so much more than makeup, so we asked the BuzzFeed Community for beauty advice that's deeper than what meets the eye. Here are some of the things they wish they'd known a lot sooner.
1. Do not body shame other women.
2. "Life is not about finding yourself; it's about creating yourself ❤️." —Marie Walton, FB
3. Beauty is only skin deep.
"I spent all my teens caring too much about how I looked, and now, at 23 years old, I FINALLY get that beauty is only skin deep." —cherylreneeb
4. Don’t let anyone make you self-conscious about how you look.
"Don’t let anyone make you self-conscious about how you look. Everyone looks different, so don’t try to conform to another person’s standard of beauty. Be yourself." —anikaanakinr
5. "Make a shit load of mistakes and do every possible cringeworthy thing. Then learn from them, laugh them off, and do more." —chlurrovestof
6. You are valued, worthy, loved, and more than enough.
"Don’t allow that boy you think you love to make you feel so terrible about yourself. Verbal and emotional abuse are too often overlooked. You are valued, worthy, loved, and more than enough." —courtneyo49c89269c
7. "Someone else’s beauty doesn’t diminish yours." —oliviab4a17c385c
8. You don’t need to impress anyone, ESPECIALLY boys.
"You don’t need to impress anyone, ESPECIALLY boys. You are beautiful and don’t let anyone ever tell you otherwise." —anab42aa68f64
9. Enjoy your body! You don’t have to change it to be liked or accepted.
"You are absolutely 100% beautiful. Yes, in the cheesy way that your family says it, but also in the way you want to be. You are just like those other girls at school that you admire for being pretty, and they are just like you. Enjoy your body! You don’t have to change it to be liked or accepted." —thisislebo
10. "Don’t be afraid to come out. You will be much happier, my gay friend :)" —MyDogIsInSlytherin
11. Learn to shake things off because more than half your issues in high school won’t matter an ounce in the future.
"You’re at the point in your life where you worry about nothing and everything all at the same time. Learn to shake things off because more than half of your issues in high school won’t matter an ounce in the future. Never forget to have fun, and remember that the bad days are necessary to remind us all to count our blessings." —caitlinj4d0e5c832
12. "Beauty goes further than what meets the eye. Stop focusing so much on how you look, and focus on how to better yourself and have a beautiful personality." —ashley1
13. "Simply be your own self. You’ll never be happy trying to emulate what another person deems beautiful." —alissafrost
14. If you spend a lot of time trying to change who you are on the outside, spend equally as much time working to love who you are both inside and out.
"If you spend a lot of time trying to change who you are on the outside, spend equally as much time working to love who you are both inside and out. It’s not wrong to want to change your appearance, but check in with yourself to know if it’s for you out of self-love, or if it’s from pressure by others." —taraw424561f3a
15. "Find love in yourself, and embrace the power of you and your friends. Have fun and enjoy being a teen!" —pipersplayroom
16. "All of your moles, freckles and scars are something to be celebrated, not hidden." —claireb424854df2
17. "Your freckles make you distinct, and you will love them when you’re in your 30s." —rachelsporyh
18. Stop hating yourself based on societal standards of beauty.
"The features that you hate about yourself are going to be ridiculously popular one day—to the point that some people will be willing to pay for them. And even if the culture never shifts, learn to love yourself on your own. Stop hating yourself based on societal standards of beauty." —jessicak4cb035936
19. "The real world doesn’t care how pretty you were in high school, they care how decent of a human being you are now." —laurae486e9cb98
20. Sometimes it’s people's opinion that’s the problem, not your appearance.
21. "Stop trying to grow up so fast. Just be a kid." —kilaf
22. "Find the group of friends who make you feel beautiful JUST AS YOU ARE, not the ones who try to look like the ads and commercials." —cynthias4149b8dd9
23. "Eat right and get a good night's sleep." —caitlinm44892d518
24. "Learn to love what you have before you do anything to your body." —redtieofficial
25. The women around you are not your competition.
"'Another woman’s beauty is not the absence of your own.' I don’t know who said that originally, but I heard it recently and I just think its one of the most important things to remember at any age. The women around you are not your competition. There is plenty of room for everyone to be their own type of beautiful!" –faiths496ee04ac