This is a salad that improves with age, so I often make a big batch of it over the weekend and snack on it throughout the week. A friend turned me on to the recipe, from My New Roots. The dressing’s combination of spices, vinegar, maple syrup and mustard have an addictive je ne sais quoi. I like to use green lentils or wheatberries for the base, though wild rice, kamut, farro or chickpeas would be lovely, too. And I almost always add some diced apple and a good bit of parsley. I think the next time I make the dressing, I’ll toss it with some cauliflower, toasted nuts, apples, and herbs. —Heather Sperling, 30, editor of Tasting Table and co-founder of food and design festival Fête, Chicago, IL
5. The dressing has a lot of ingredients but it’s worth it.
The dressing ingredients are:
SPICES: ground cumin, turmeric, coriander, cardamom, cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon and cayenne pepper, salt, pepper
LIQUIDS: extra virgin olive oil, apple cider vinegar, maple syrup, strong mustard
9. When it’s time to eat, add your favorite greens, fruit, nuts, herbs, and cheese.
FRUIT: chopped apple or pear, mandarin orange slices, halved grapes, mango
NUTS: toasted almonds or walnuts, peanuts
CHEESE: feta, shaved parmesan, goat cheese, queso blanco
GREENS: parsley, parsley, parsley. arugula, radicchio, cilantro, etc.
10. Get the full “Best Lentil Salad, Ever” recipe from My New Roots.
- We made it: Trump and Clinton sparred over ISIS, race in the US, and his unreleased taxes during the first debate 📢
- Ted Cruz said Trump's list of potential Supreme Court nominees spurred his decision to endorse his former opponent.
- Parents of the suspected Washington mall gunman who killed five people said he "had mental issues."