My task started with right after the grocery store run — I guarded bags of jumbo jet-puffed ‘mallows so that none of my cousins got into them. (Being a total lame-ass kid, I was pretty good at that part.)
3. When It Was Time, I got to arrange them on top of the sweet potato stuff.
4. Then my job was to watch them — VERY CAREFULLY — while they toasted in the oven.
Unfortunately I did not always achieve my goal. I am telling you, THOSE MARSHMALLOWS GO FAST.
8. Now according to the fam I’m “a fancy food editor,” and more or less responsible for everything.
9. Except the pie. My dad makes really good pie.
10. And the gravy. My Uncle makes one hell of a giblet gravy.
11. Actually my mom makes the cranberry sauce and my aunt makes the dressing. SO I guess I just do turkey and try to make people eat healthy Brussels sprouts and wild rice.
12. But the MOST IMPORTANT THING are those marshmallows. Here’s my grandma’s recipe.
13. Allow me to translate my mom’s (lovely) handwriting.
DORSH’S SWEET POTATOES
5-6 sweet potatoes
1/2 stick butter
1/2 cup milk
1 cup sugar
3 oz. frozen concentrated OJ (my mom’s addition to her mom’s recipe)
nutmeg (you know, “some”)
marshmallows (as many as you can fit. NO GAPS!)
Boil sweet potatoes til soft, and peel. Mash with butter. Stir in all other ingredients. Bake at 350F for 20 minutes. Top with marshmallows. Bake just a little longer, til marshmallows melt and brown.
14. I hope you’ll share your family’s best Thanksgiving recipes.
and photos! Especially if you’re sticking your hand all the way up a turkey. Who doesn’t love that part?!
- Donald Trump says he's making a last-minute trip to Mexico on Wednesday before his speech on immigration policy.
- US officials are trying to confirm whether a senior ISIS leader, reportedly serving as the group's leader in Syria, was killed in an airstrike.
- Chris Brown has been released on a $250,000 bail after being arrested for assault with a deadly weapon after allegedly threatening a model at his home.