2. Quick and Easy Quinoa with Avocado, Fried Eggs, and Lots of Parsley
Recipe by Emily Fleischaker
Serves 4, but you could easily halve this.
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 cup dry quinoa, rinsed and drained in a mesh sieve
2 2/3 cup water
4 teaspoons plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
4 - 8 eggs, depending on how hungry everyone is
2 avocados, diced
1 bunch parsley, leaves removed from stems, washed and dried
kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
1. Make quinoa: In a medium saucepan with a lid, heat 2 teaspoons olive oil over medium heat. Add quinoa and cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, for about a minute, until quinoa is completely dry and slightly toasted. Add water and salt, and bring the mixture to a boil over high heat. Lower heat to the lowest setting and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes. Turn off the heat and let the pot stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Remove the lid and fluff the quinoa with a fork.
2. While quinoa is standing covered, fry the eggs in two batches (four at a time): Put 2 teaspoons of oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Crack the eggs into the skillet and let them fry uncovered for 3 or 4 minutes, seasoning with salt and pepper at the last minute. Then remove then with a spatula and place on a paper towel and do the next batch. (For more info on frying eggs, click here.)
3. Combine avocado, quinoa, and parsley in a large mixing bowl, drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil (or more to taste) and season with salt and pepper. Divide the mixture among bowls and top each bowl with one or two fried eggs.
- Trump's pick for education secretary, Betsy DeVos, could face a contentious confirmation hearing — at least by standards of the position.
- Prime Minister Theresa May's Brexit: no single market, parliamentary vote on the final deal, and a warning to the EU not to punish the UK.
- At least 40 Democratic lawmakers are boycotting Donald Trump's inauguration after the president-elect criticized civil rights leader John Lewis.
- Most hate crimes go unreported. Help BuzzFeed News and other news outlets document hate crimes and harassment in the US.