1. This is a marriage equality cake.
2. You may have noticed similar images on Facebook as people are changing their profile pictures to support marriage equality.
The Supreme Court hears two cases this week that will decide the fate of marriage equality for a generation.
4. Here’s how to make one out of cake.
6. Step 2: Make five cakes for the five layers.
Yeah sorry, five. You will need to make five red cakes and two pink cakes. We used boxed cake mix — three boxes of Duncan Hines Red Velvet cake mix and one box of Betty Crocker Strawberry Cake mix. If you can’t find either, you could use yellow cake and add a few drops of red food coloring to the batters to get the color you want — a few more drops to get a red color, and a few less to get the pink color.
7. Step 3: Frost one of the red velvet cakes, then make a pink cake circle.
Use a circular piece of tupperware or something to trace the shape of the circle. It’s ok to break the outer circle since you won’t be using it.
8. Step 4: Make a red cake circle of the same size, and then fit the pink circle inside the red cake circular outline.
Cut the same size circle out of the second layer of red velvet cake, taking care not to rip the outer circle. Then fit the pink circle inside the red velvet circular outline.
9. Step 5: More frosting.
Cream cheese frosting is preferred, obviously.
10. Step 6: Add another layer of plain red velvet cake (we cut it in half horizontally). Then add more frosting. Then repeat steps 3 and 4 for another circles layer.
11. Step 7: Add the fifth cake — a plain red velvet layer — then cover with frosting.
If you have enough frosting, you can coat the entire cake with frosting at this point.
12. Step 8: Slice into cake and enjoy the conceptual flavor of equality.
Mmm, tastes like freedom.
- At least 41 people have died in a suicide bombing attack on Istanbul's international airport, Turkish officials said.
- Brexit fallout: Leaders of the remaining European Union states will call for the UK's withdrawal to happen in an "orderly fashion" and quickly.
- Ready for the U.S. presidential election in November? It's #TurnUpToVote week at BuzzFeed and you can register here 🇺🇸