First of all, this is hilarious:
But also, true. See below.
9. The cronuts at Café Mozu at Lebua, a hotel in Bangkok
Meanwhile, two months ago:
According to the bakery’s Facebook page:
“Dominique Ansel Bakery (as a business) trademarked the term Cronut™ in May of this year as a protective measure against the type of bullying that is taking place now. It is important to note that Chef Dominique Ansel himself does not actively manage the protection of this trademark, and spends the majority of his time in the kitchen or personally serving guests. On top of that, Chef has never claimed he invented all fried-laminated dough recipes nor stated he was the first to ever fry laminated dough.
The term Cronut™ is a name associated with a specific product offered at the bakery and undeniably linked to the Chef’s reputation as well as the bakery’s name. Our desire to protect the name is not an attempt to claim or take credit for all cooking methods associated with the recipe or all croissant and doughnut products in general. Instead, it offers the bakery and Chef protection against un-granted affiliations with the bakery or confusion from customers.”
Some of the bakeries using the name “cronut” and “croughnut” have received cease and desist letters from the bakery’s lawyers.
BTW: I know it my heart of hearts that there are more than 100 cronut imposters out there and it was my hope to find them all because I am obsessed with them, but I have to go make other posts now, so please share a link if you know of any. — Emily
CORRECTION: Kouign amann is a Breton cake dating back to the 1800s. An earlier version of this item listed Kouign amann as a cronut imposter even though the author Emily Fleischaker should have known that it wasn’t but unfortunately she is an idiot sometimes. (3/6/13)
- The LAPD says it won't work with the feds on deportations — but it already does.
- UK intelligence chief says he's worried by rival countries' attempts to undermine democracy through propaganda, cyberattacks.
- The 36 victims in the Oakland warehouse fire were trapped with "no way out" in America's deadliest blaze in over a decade.
- People are mad at Jennifer Lawrence for telling a story about rubbing her butt on sacred Hawaiian rocks.