39 Things To Make You A Savvier Traveler In 2022
Including *the* comfiest face mask for travel that sits off your lips to make mid-flight naps a breeze.
We hope you love the products we recommend! All of them were independently selected by our editors. Just so you know, BuzzFeed may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page if you decide to shop from them. Oh, and FYI — prices are accurate and items in stock as of time of publication.
1. An AirFly Pro, a handy gadget you can use to connect your wireless headphones to the headphone jacks on flights so you can stream The Fault in Our Stars and bawl thousands of feet in the air again without shelling out $$ for wired headphones.
2. A popular water-resistant Under Armour face mask designed to sit off your lips, giving you plenty of room to breathe without getting fabric sucked into your mouth — a perfect mask for anyone looking to relax on a long plane flight. It's also made with the company's Iso-Chill fabric, so it doesn't overheat despite being bulkier than other masks.
3. Plus a soft silicone ear saver and mask extender you'll be grateful for on long flights, train rides, and bus trips — not only does it take some of the pressure off your ears, but it helps make a more personalized fit on masks with elastic straps that don't *quite* fit your face, making them much comfier and more secure.
4. A handy RFID-blocking travel wallet complete with *deep breath* a passport pocket, boarding pass compartment, three credit card slots, an ID slot, a slim card pouch, slim pocket, a ticket slot, a cellphone pouch, a zippered coin pocket, a key holder, and a pen holder, all in one itty-bitty place so you're never scrambling to find anything when you're on the move.
5. A set of homeopathic jet lag pills to show all time zones and weary post-travel limbs who's boss. This doesn't have any side effects and won't mess with your *actual* attempts to sleep, but may help you feel more refreshed after long flights or (sighs deeply) red eyes.
6. A travel laptop backpack with plenty of room for everything you need, plus protection for your tech that has truly...thought...of everything?? It has soft, ventilated padding for a comfy fit, a luggage strap to fit on a suitcase, a whole slew of pockets (including a hidden anti-theft one), plus a built in USB charger outside and built in charging cable inside. OH! And it's also water resistant. If this backpack were a person, it would be the safest, smuggest person alive.
7. Or for the photogs out there, a compact, lightweight Brevite camera bag with expertly engineered padding and pockets to accommodate your camera and all of its fragile accessories. Psst — unlike some of your tech, this bag also comes with a lifetime warranty.
8. An airplane footrest, because yes, it IS possible to sit comfortably on a plane — all you have to do is hook this onto the tray table and boom, instant elevation (and a LOT less foot swelling to deal with post-flight!).
9. A ridiculously soft Essential Hoodie from Pond LA, which is basically what happens when a cozy sweater and and a sleeping mask join forces to create the ultimate lightweight piece you can use for everything from light naps to full-on workouts. Not to mention...it's got a secret kangaroo pocket 🦘.
10. A hands-free (rotating!) phone mount designed for use on all airlines — not only can you mount it to the tray table, but to the arm of a chair or any flat surface, so you'll be able to stream content easy as pie.
11. A TSA-approved toiletry bag for all your liquids and makeup so you can sail on through security without worrying about anything other than the fact that, oops, turns out your socks don't match.
12. A waterproof pouch to keep your phone and other "doesn't play well with water"–type gadgets safe. Not only does this keep it safe, but you can still use the touchscreen with it, meaning you can take underwater photos galore 🐠🐟🐡.
13. A Bearaby travel napper for anyone who, like me, is common law married to their weighted blanket. Now you can take all that snuggly anxiety-reducing comfort on the road with this 10-pound version that fits easily into a compact duffel, making it perfect for adding some calm to long flights and road trips.
14. A stick of Body Glide anti-chafing balm you can apply between your thighs so you can wear all your fashionable vacation dresses to touristy spots or hike in your more active excursions without worrying about extra ouchies.
15. Plus a foot blister-preventing balm that basically magics an extra layer between your skin and your shoe, so you can go on all your hikes or long walks around new cities without worrying about getting big ole blisters on your feet without a Band-Aid in sight.
16. A vinyl plastic vaccine card sleeve with a resealable top just to make *extra* sure it won't rain on your vaccinated travel parade. (This also comes with handy holes for lanyards if you want to keep them close!)
17. A 50-count set of super-handy laundry soap sheets you can use to hand wash your clothes right in the sink, whether you want to refresh your undies or you sweated out some workout clothes and want to go on round two with them after letting them air-dry. TBH, one of these tiny things might save you a whole BUNDLE of packing space for extra clothes you don't need!
18. A set of Sea Bands, which target an acupuncture point on your wrists meant to help reduce nausea — a must-have for anyone who gets motion sick on long car rides, cruises, buses, and trains.
19. A chic but sturdy (and water-resistant!) weekend tote that's really thought of everything — it has a bottom compartment for shoes, a padded laptop sleeve, two interior sleeves, and an exterior pocket for your wallet and "stuff I need to grab fast" items. Bonus? It's got a wire frame to make packing *that* much easier.
20. A mini steam iron you'll *definitely* want to invest in if you pack tight and you've got formal occasions or ~dressy outfits~ to show off. This is a much easier solution than wrangling a hotel iron or trying to run the shower steam over your clothes.
21. An expandable dirty laundry bag that packs in a tiny zip-up and extends into a bag that can hold a week's worth of laundry, made with moisture-resistant fabric so your dirty clothes don't muck up your nice clean ones.
22. An always handy international travel adaptor with a universal input that lets you charge four devices at once, so you don't have to triage charging all your electronics whenever you get back to the hotel.
23. Plus a six-port wall charger that will make you the MVP of your fam or friend group whenever you've secured an outlet in the airport and all bajillion of your phones are dying at once. Also a great way to charge up multiple devices at once if there's an outlet shortage in the hotel room!
24. A glare-free Kindle Paperwhite that is, bless its technological heart, fully waterproof, so you can take it on all your wettest, wildest travels without sending all the unsuspecting characters to an early watery grave. It's also a great solution for travel entertainment because it holds THOUSANDS of books in its slim, lightweight frame and holds its charge for weeks (plural!!).
25. A packing checklist so you never arrive in the middle of a brand new city and open the family suitcases to a whole lot of things that *aren't* your underwear ever again.
26. A super-soft Trtl neck pillow designed to support your head while you're snoozing in midair, so you don't land in a new city with a new crick in your neck to boot.
27. A reusable water bottle with a daily pill organizer so not only can you condense two very handy items into one sleek bottle, but you'll be less likely to forget to take your medication with your traveling throwing off your routine.
28. A quilted jewelry travel case to give you some peace of mind with your most valuable pieces when you're on the move — this handmade case is lined with LusterLoc, a treated suede that prevents jewelry from tarnishing, so your pieces won't lose their shine ✨.
29. A pair of compression socks for anyone whose feet and legs are prone to swelling on long flights — these are a chic solution to keep you ready for action once you land.
30. A memory foam seat cushion for your tushy so effective at relieving pressure from your tailbone that you'll finally be able to take long car rides and plane flights without cursing every bone in your back for making themselves known.
31. A "crush-proof" carry-on suitcase that you might actually develop a crush on? Not only is it designed for easy maneuvering, it comes with an ejectable battery to charge your gadgets, a compression system so you don't have to play the "smush everything in here, so help me god" game, and even features a sneaky odor-proof laundry bag.
32. A hybrid travel planner and journal, so not only can you organize all your plans for the trip in advance, but chronicle them in the same space for safekeeping. Extremely love to see it, especially because the planning and anticipating of the trip is every bit as fun as the trip itself!
33. A set of small travel containers that are *super* versatile, since you can use them for anything from holding small amounts of sunscreen or lotion to storing pills to stashing away earrings.
34. A set of toiletry wipe packs so compact and handy it'll make Dora the Explorer and that bottomless backpack feel like they're playing in the little leagues.
35. A bar of natural, plastic-free solid shampoo you can easily slide into your carry-on without worrying about it getting flagged at TSA *or* it exploding mid-flight and drowning your laptop in Garnier Fructis.
36. A fingerprint recognition lock, because why go on a regular trip when you can go on a self-insert James Bond fan fic of a trip instead? Good LUCK to anyone who thought they were going to steal all the VIPS (Very Important Plane Snacks) from your carry-on!!
37. A quick-release vegan leather travel belt to securely cinch your carry-on or duty-free goodies to the top of your rolling suitcase so you can shop around the airport between layovers (and/or sprint to reach said layovers) with ease.
38. A trusty Tide To-Go stain removing pen, because nobody wants to get a stain on their One Nice Top the first day of traveling and have it be out of commission for the rest of the trip. Enter these tried-and-true bad boys, which will take care of the problem in a pinch.
39. A small power bank charger that tens of thousands of reviewers swear by as an easy, highly portable way to get a quick charge on their phones — especially great for trips where you're on the go so much that there's no time to go back to the hotel and charge.
Reviews have been edited for length and/or clarity.