Unless otherwise specified, all sizes in this post are listed in women's.
1. A tie-waist deep V-neck dress you'll be *really* glad you invested in when you start planning cold weather date nights to dinner or to see shows. We love a versatile dress that works with all our jackets and shoes!!
Promising review: "So, I’m really hesitant to buy any clothing on Amazon. I typically don’t. But I saw this dress on a curvy person from TikTok, and I was like, 'That dress is stunning on them,' so I added it to my cart. I took a leap, and I’m happy I did. I have room to move, it’s not tight at all, and I’m in love with it. I’ll have to safety-pin it or make a small stitch to it to stop my bra and chest from showing so much, but other than that, it’s really a beautiful dress! It is shorter on the sides, so be warned about that." —Nicole P.
Get it from Amazon for $33.99+ (available in sizes XS–XXL and 20 colors).
2. An easy breezy tiered swing dress with subtle balloon sleeves for all those afternoons you're like, "Let's go out to frolic in the park, and by frolic, I mean take lots of cute pictures in the park."
Psst — reviewers love this dress, but recommend sizing down if you're in between sizes!
Promising review: "This dress is absolute perfection! I purchased for a Texas game day brunch — good burnt orange is hard to come by. The fit was impeccable — flowy without looking ill-fitting, and hit me just above the knee. I wore with cowboy boots and loved that I could chase my toddler around while still looking cute in this dress. The fabric is just thick enough to lay smooth and not cling, while not being heavy. Not see through at all. The balloon sleeves are EVERYTHING. Going to buy in more colors right now!" —FitGirlInFlight
Psst — if you have Amazon Prime Wardrobe you can try this piece out before you buy it!
Get it from Amazon for $30.98+ (available in sizes S–XXL and 28 styles).
3. A satin cowl-neck midi dress for a perfect party staple, especially because reviewers can't say enough about how easy it is to move and groove in. Your dance floor priorities are well protected here.
Promising review: "I saw this dress in a TikTok, and I thought I would try it out considering the reasonable cost. I was shocked at how comfortable it is. The material feels expensive and is smooth on your skin. You could wear a bra with it, but the cowl neckline allows you to go without. Overall, it's an amazing dress!" —A, Lu
Get it from Amazon for $23.99+ (available in sizes XS–XL and in 22 colors and patterns).
4. A cottagecore maxi dress with a real "choose your own adventure" vibe, since the shoulders can be styled multiple ways (and also because wearing this dress *demands* you go on a lil' hike and picnic trip).
Promising review: "I love the way this dress fits! It's so comfortable and can be worn for so many occasions. It stretches so well in every area and looks very [awesome] on my curvy body. I also love that you can wear the shoulders in different ways. I get so many compliments on it every time I wear it. I bought two colors and I'm planning to buy more of them the future." —Naxhiely
Get it from Amazon for $36.99 (available in sizes XS–XL and in 24 colors).
5. A waffle-knit pullover dress so snuggly it'll feel like you're wearing a very chic hug. Reviewers love how warm the fabric is and how beautifully the neutral colors pair with different kinds of shoes!
6. An apron dress to get a distinctively vintage look that will pair beautifully with all your favorite tops, dresses, and even cosplays. Reviewers in a ton of industries swear by these, from teachers to customer service workers to actors!
Chemistri is a California-based Etsy shop that specializes in apron dresses and fashion accessories.
Promising review: "This would be the fifth and sixth apron I purchased because I love all the colors. I'm soooooo happy with these aprons I keep coming back for more. They are exactly what I wanted and are consistent every time! I bought my daughter one as well! LOVE THEM!" —Dez Elle
7. The iconic Ellie Nap Dress from Hill House that has *quite* the reputation for being one of the absolute, hands down coziest dresses on the planet, thanks to the stretch in its smocked top and the flowiness of the skirt.
Reviewers suggest sizing down!
I own one of these and can I just say from the bottom of my little gremlin heart what a RELIEF to wear a nonconstrictive but still "dressy" dress out and about. I feel like a princess when I wear it, and more importantly, like a princess who never gets a wedgie or worries about bra lines or has to adjust their outfit every ten seconds. WHERE HAS THIS BEEN ALL MY LIFE??
Promising review: "I don't think I've reviewed this dress because 100+ reviews and it selling out on each launch sort of speaks for itself. This is just the perfect dress, for literally any body! There is not a single day that goes by that I'm wearing one and I don't get a compliment from someone. You can dress them up or dress them down. You can nap in them, then put some heels on and wear it out to dinner! They are so easy to wear. As a neurodivergent person that can't stand wearing a lot of clothes, these are essential to my wardrobe. You cannot go wrong with this dress. Every drop I say I'm going to order something different and I just wind up with more Ellie's. You think you shouldn't order another one because you already have one or two? ORDER IT! In all the colors and prints!" —Karina
Get it from Hill House for $150 (available in sizes XXS–XXL and 21 styles).
8. A timeless (eco-friendly!!) V-neck pullover dress for anyone living at the intersection of "I need to be cozy at ALL TIMES" and "damn it, I should really dress up for this." The organic cotton of this dress is soft and has just the right amount of stretch to make it super comfy, even though it can easily be dressed up for anything from work to a wedding.
Pact is an organic, sustainable, fair trade fashion brand that partners with SimpliZero to offset the environmental impact of every product, making it a carbon neutral company.
Psst — some reviewers suggest you size up!
Promising review: "Quality material, stretch, and comfortable. If you are looking for a nice quality cotton dress this is the one. I bought it for a wedding." —Brenda C.
Get it from Pact for $74 (originally $95; available in sizes XS–XXL and nine patterns).
9. A velvet V-neck maxi dress so timeless that it's basically a one-and-done for wedding seasons and holiday parties for every year to come.
Promising review: "Dress fit amazing [and is] very comfortable... I wore it to a wedding and because it has a little stretch wore it a year later for my maternity photos. Got so many compliments. Gorgeous burnt orange/rust color." —Ron
Get it from Amazon for $46.99+ (available in sizes 4–26 and in seven colors).
10. A pleated-skirt midi dress for anyone who wants a reliable dressy staple in their closet but is sick of the LBD trend — sometimes you need a pop of color and the swish, swish of fun pleats to liven up the mood!
Promising review: "LOVE THIS DRESS! I bought it for a wedding and got so many compliments. It fit great. I probably could have gone down a size because the top was a little loose. But it’s very flowy. The material is thin but thick enough that it’s not see-through." —Megan
Get it from Amazon for $42.99+ (available in sizes XS–XXL and in 11 colors).
11. An oversized turtleneck sweater dress that all the boots in your closet are practically *salivating* over knowing just how beautifully they'll pair together.
Promising review: "Great quality! Thick and super stretchy. Color is exactly like the picture (I got the green), slightly longer in back. Exactly what I was looking for and better than I expected." —Amazon Customer
Psst — if you have Amazon Prime Wardrobe, you can try this piece out before you buy it!
Get it from Amazon for $25.43+ (available in sizes XS–XL and 18 colors).
12. A vintage-style midi dress with some "I arrived here through a very sophisticated time machine" vibes that will have you dodging compliments left and right.
Mr. Water New York is a New York–based, Asian American woman–owned independent fashion brand established in 2017 filled with unique pieces.
Promising review: "I absolutely LOVED this dress...I cannot believe how well it was made and how lovely it was for such a reasonable price point. It was comfortable and easy and fun to wear. And not only did I love it, so many other people did, too. I was complimented not only by people I know (I wore it to a wedding) but also by strangers who stopped me at various points while traveling throughout my day, to tell me how much they loved it. I will 100% be purchasing again from Mr. Water New York." —Lesley