40 Beauty Products For Cheap People With High Standards
Psst — the TikTok-famous Poreless Putty Primer is finally back in stock ✨.
We hope you love the products we recommend! All of them were independently selected by our editors. Just so you know, BuzzFeed may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page if you decide to shop from them. Oh, and FYI — prices are accurate and items in stock as of time of publication.
1. E.l.f.'s Poreless Putty Primer, a TikTok-famous lightweight base primer that reviewers swear by for reducing the appearance of pores and helping their makeup apply more smoothly and evenly.
LOL, allow me to be the one to shout to GRAB THIS WHILE YOU CAN. I've been trying to snag it for weeks and, thanks to TikTok, it's constantly out of stock. Now is finally our chance!
Promising review: "WOW!!!! I've been looking for a pore-filling primer for some time now, I am very very picky and usually try to do super-lightweight ones because my skin is sensitive, so I was a tad skeptical of this because it looks so thick in the package photos. However, I'm a BELIEVER now, y'all. It's much less thick than it looks and spreads super easily and evenly. My pores are getting smaller thanks to a new skincare routine, but I've been SO frustrated trying to find a primer that will actually conceal them so they don't completely suck up the foundation and make me look awful. This. Is. IT. You can't beat this for the price. I've even tried the Maybelline Baby Skin pore filler primer and this blows it out of the water. Can't beat it, especially for the price!!!!" —Jody Ferguson
Get it from Amazon for $8.50.
2. And L'Oréal Paris Infallible Fresh Powder Foundation, yet another TikTok-famous makeup product that lives up to the hype. You can either do a quick layer of it for coverage, or go full matte that stays the heck put.
Promising review: "I saw this product on a reviews page and thought I'd try it. Managed to pick the right color first time around. I was nicely surprised that on my day off I could use this after simply washing my face and moisturizing. Nice and easy application. It's definitely buildable. Covers nicely and is matting. I probably wouldn't use this to replace my foundation or powder in my normal actual routine make up, but for a quick face of make up, this is great. And it's great for a touch up since it has that foundation base." —Reyna
Get it from Amazon for $11.59 (available in 16 shades).
3. Maybelline's Cheek Heat Gel-Cream Blush, which is basically the affordable Cloud Paint dupe you'll love so much you'll wanna buy it in every shade — it spreads on your cheeks like finger paint and requires truly NO strategizing to blend. It is truly the easiest part of my routine.
I'm a Glossier Cloud Paint stan so I'll continue to buy it, but I love this affordable dupe, too! It spreads on super easily and can either go on sheer or build for a bolder effect. I got the Rose Flush shade and enjoy it for ~everyday wear~ since it's so easy to squirt a bit on my fingers, swirl it into my cheeks, and be on my merry way. It lasts all day and looks super natural to boot!
Promising review: "LOVE this cream blush! Goes on smoothly and looks completely natural and I am in my 60s! WOW! WOW! WOW! I am amazed with this little tube! And the price cannot be beaten! Thank you!!!" —Renee A. Parker
Get it from Amazon for $5.98 (available in six shades).
4. A painless, mint-flavored teeth-whitening pen for sensitive teeth and gums that can help lighten up years' worth of stains from coffee, tea, wine, or just...you know. Existing as a human with teeth.
Promising review: "I really didn't realize how well it worked until I took the after picture. Then I felt bad that I had not done this before. Let me start by saying I did not even do this everyday. I am bad about starting something and not finishing it, but I did use the two tubes that I purchased. I plan on purchasing two more so I can get my teeth whiter. I would recommend this to anyone who wants to get their teeth whiter." —Sherri Blanchard
Get a two-pack from Amazon for $19.99.
5. Coty Airspun Loose Face Powder, which is so beloved it's racked up over 60,000 5-star reviews. It's designed not only to give your makeup a beautiful blended look and last the whole livelong day, but to be super easy to apply — this doesn't leave a white cast like some other powders do, so you won't waste time blending it.
Promising review: "What a difference from my old powder! I had been using the Nyx loose powder for years but it always made me look so...dusty...this stuff, oh man...it makes my foundation look airbrushed on! Like, what the hell!? It has a very very slight sheen and seems to just sink into your foundation, no dusty look whatsoever! I am amazed...and also never using any other powder ever again...I love it when I find a good staple for my makeup routine, this is definitely sticking with me! And you get soooooo much! I couldn't believe how much you get for the price! Just can't beat it! And for added bonus, it smells amazing!" —Amazonian
Get it from Amazon for $5.72 (available in six colors, including translucent).
6. A reviewer-beloved Mane Club 10-in-1 leave-in spray that honestly deserves its own theme song, for the amount of work it's putting in. Its unique formula of cannabis sativa seed oil helps it condition, detangle, heat protect, prevent breakage, hydrate, smooth, soften, control frizz, boost shine, and strengthen your hair, and keeps it nongreasy to boot.
Mane Club is a New York City–based small business established in 2019 that specializes in affordable haircare products.
Promising review: "I’m a hairstylist, so I’ve tried just about every leave-in conditioner out there, and I was amazed at how soft my hair felt after one use. My curls were so happy! The smell is amazing too!! I will definitely be repurchasing." —Allison S.
Get it from Mane Club for $8.
7. Maybelline's Instant Age Rewind concealer, an inexpensive lightweight concealer for anyone who wants to quickly touch up before Zoom calls or errand running, but doesn't want to commit to a whole layer of foundation. This also helps cover dark circles without caking and reduce puffiness.
TBH, last year I started using this myself (although this is BuzzFeed editor Kayla Suazo's lovely human face above), and I am mad that I wasted time with other concealers for so long. I am a deeply impatient person who likes to look good and does not like to put in effort in any way, shape, or form, and Maybelline created this so that people like me could gracelessly slap it on in the morning and be like "OK, REFLECTION, YOU GOT THIS" before being on their merry way. It never cakes, I look way more awake than I have any right to, and I never struggle to blend it the way I do with other concealers. 11/10 subscribe.
Promising review: "This is my all-time favorite concealer. It goes on creamy, covers under-eye circles without looking chalky. I hope they never stop making it." —YVonneM
Check out BuzzFeed's full review of Maybelline's Instant Age Rewind Concealer for more deets.
Get it from Amazon for $7.98 (available in 17 shades).
8. A bottle of Elizavecca Hair Treatment, an Olaplex "dupe" repairing mask infused with collagen ingredients and protein extracts that will help restore hair health and reduce shedding. All you gotta do is apply it on wet hair after a shampoo, wait five minutes, and rinse it out.
This is designed to work on all hair types, with reviewers with 2b to 4c curls mentioning it worked for them!
Promising review: "Holy moly. This stuff is AH-mazing. To be free of bad stuff, smell amazing, leave my hair SMOOTH and SOFT (did I emphasize that enough), and leave my hair drying quicker with it looking near perfect. Well folks, what else is there to say? Buy it. Don’t think about it. Just do it. This coming from a super-picky hair girl!" —Aubsmommmy
Check out BuzzFeed's full review of the Elizavecca hair treatment for more deets!
Get a bottle from Amazon for $8.70.
9. Or CoverGirl's TruBlend matte concealer, which blends so seamlessly to your skin tone that it basically does half the work for you. A lot of reviewers noted that they didn't even *need* additional foundation or powders for coverage, so these lil' tubes are working overtime.
Promising review: "I don't know what to start off with besides saying how amazing this concealer is!! The concealer has a great formula that's easy to blend and dries to a matte finish. Almost didn't bake afterwards because the look was close to flawless. I'm big into bright under eyes and this gave me the look I love. This has easily made its way into my go-to makeup, and perhaps one of my new favorites." —Mandy Smith
Get it from Amazon for $7.71 (available in 30 shades).
10. A bottle of Peripera Ink Velvet Lip Tint that comes complete with an applicator shaped to your lip, so application is *that* much more foolproof. Reviewers love this for how buildable and long-lasting it is, and how it doesn't crack or leave skin feeling dry.
11. A set of itty-bitty dermaplaning razors you can use for some gentle exfoliation to get a nice dewy glow *and* make it that much easier to smoothly spread on foundation.
A lot of reviewers also use these on fine hair and their eyebrows!
Promising review: "YOU NEED THESE. I seriously just got them an hour ago and can’t begin to tell you how obsessed I am. I used them to shape my eyebrows and woOW. They’ve never looked so good. Super easy to use and the perfect size. I’ve used mini razors like this before (including Tinkles) and these are by far the best. Do yourself and your brows a favor and buy these!" —Kaylee Frederickson
Get a set of three from Amazon for $4.99.
12. Or a painless battery-charged hair remover you can simply glide over super fine hair like the hair above your lip or between your brows instead of going into a full "YIKES" mode with wax — no shaving cream required.
Promising review: "I likes the painless and effortless but effective results and the fact I can do this as often as I like. No more $40 monthly facial waxings at this time of shutdown for indefinite future and this was my alternative, will save me a whole lot of money!" —Dreidel Collector
Get it from Amazon for $16.99.
13. Cerave's Hydrating cleanser made with hyaluronic acid, ceramides, and glycerin — aka, all the good stuff to hydrate your face and remove makeup and oil without stripping your skin of its natural moisture. Psst — a lot of reviewers with sensitive skin and acne swear by this, because it's super gentle *and* super effective.
Promising review: "I absolutely love this product! I spent so much money on expensive face wash and face creams and nothing worked like this. I always had breakouts on my chin and redness. No matter what products I used, it didn't fix my problem. I bought this cleanser two weeks ago and use every day. I noticed my redness and pimples clearing up in three days! It leaves my skin smooth, healthy, and clear. I just order another bottle in case they sell out. Cerave, please never discontinue this product. I can't thank you enough for making me have confidence again. 💕💕💕" —Adriana
Get it from Amazon for $14.99.
14. A makeup-setting spray with a matte finish to lock your look in place in just a few seconds, even on days when the sun is trying to melt you like a Popsicle.
Promising review: "Love this spray. Like that it's small and portable. It does set your makeup matte, which I love. Keeps my makeup in place all day. I use it pretty much daily when it's summer. It is great for when you travel to anywhere hot and humid and don't want your makeup to slide off." —Tina J.
Get it from Amazon for $6.39 (available in three styles).
15. Fluide's Universal Crayon, a delightful high-pigmented makeup pen you can easily roll on your lids, lips, and cheekbones for an extra pop of color without overthinking any blending.
Fluide is a queer-owned and woman-owned business specializing in vegan, cruelty-free, and paraben-free cosmetics.
Promising review: "I'm a huge fan of quick and easy enhancements and it doesn't get any easier than this. Drag across your eyelids, lips, rub into your cheeks and nose for a fabulous rosy shimmer." —Teneca Kennedy
16. A tube of long-lasting, moisturizing E.l.f. lip lacquer so perfect for every day use that it will become a "must" in your beauty routine from the moment you try it on.
Promising review: "Even during this stay-at-home era, I continue to wear at least basic makeup to make ME feel good. This gloss is a perfect color and the price can’t be beat. Also appreciate that it’s both flavorless and fragrance free." —Karen Templeton
Get it from Amazon for $3 (available in seven shades).
17. A set of satin pillowcases that create less friction for your hair, so you don't have to wake up every morning 10 minutes early to work through your tangles. It's also ridiculously cooling on your skin in the summer months.
I got a set of these for my bed, and although my hair is baseline pretty wild no matter what state of existence I'm in, the overnight tangles have pretty much stopped. If I put my hair up in a scrunchie, I'll usually wake up with it more or less still intact, too (which is especially nice if I'm late for my ~morning power walk~ around the neighborhood). Most of all, though, it's soooo nice to sink your face into these in the hot summer, especially when your AC is subpar (*glares at mine from across the room*).
Promising review: "Couldn't afford silk so ordered these. I love them. I've heard that sleeping on cotton is like rubbing your face on steel wool all night since that's how delicate the skin there is. All I know is I shower and style my hair at night and after sleeping on these, my hair looked freshly blown dry the next morning. I'm not exaggerating, hair looked the exact same in morning as it did after I styled it the night before. So, if this material is that nurturing to my hair I can only imagine how my face is loving it. I'm hooked and will be buying more colors." —BinaryCode
Get a set of two from Amazon for $9.99 (available in 22 colors and four sizes).
18. Maybelline's Total Temptation Eyebrow Definer Pencil, an easy-to-use, subtle eyebrow filler just as effective as the ones triple its price.
The tool comes with two ends, one a small eyebrow brush and the other a specially edged eyebrow pencil.
Promising review: "I saw this product being touted on television and decided to try it. I had been using a $24 eyebrow pencil and simply could not find an even replacement until I ordered Maybelline’s Total Temptation Eyebrow Pencil! My eyebrows have thinned over the years and it’s been difficult finding a reasonably priced pencil that fits the bill. This pencil is very easy to use, looks very natural and stays on until I wash my face at night. I absolutely love this product and I’m saving money! Double win!" —Melissa
Get it from Amazon for $7.99 (available in four shades).
19. Plus an Onset Eyebrow Soap Kit, an eyebrow pomade that doesn't just fluffy up your brows for a little extra ~drama~, but holds them in place all the livelong day. It's basically like getting a whole bunch of extra eyebrow thickness without any effort!
20. A Garnier micellar cleansing water designed to be super gentle *and* effective at removing makeup at the end of a long day of being a human. It's formulated with rose water and *without* without alcohol, oils, and fragrance so it's sensitive-skin friendly to boot.
Promising review: "A great makeup remover! This is a drugstore must-have product — it’s mentioned all over to have. No alcohol or fragrance in the ingredients which was the important thing to me, as I this frequently use to remove mascara & eyebrow makeup. It does a good job of removing what you need before washing your face. I will be buying the same product but different micellar (they have three types) that removes waterproof mascara better. I recommend getting this and using it as a two-step in your routine." —Alize V-D
Get it from Amazon for $6.79.
21. An illuminating moisturizer designed to enhance your skin's natural glow ✨ — perfect for anyone who wants a lightweight alternative to foundation or just a lil' extra shimmer in their lives.
Promising review: "Love love love this stuff. This is such a stellar product that is so versatile. Can be worn alone for some to put some glowy life to skin. Add to foundation or layer it. Beautiful. Use it as a base wear you put highlighter on top. Mix some with moisturizer. This in my opinion is better than so many high-luxury brands that make similar products. And I am pretty sure it can be used by all skin types. It’s not oily feeling at all and it doesn’t dry out skin either. Just a total package. Can’t beat the price either." —Figgy08
Get it from Amazon for $7.65+ (available in four shades).
22. A set of durable matte hair clips for days when you want a quick, sleek look on your way out the door. These are designed for all hair types, and are so comfy that a lot of reviewers say they're a go-to for all-day wear.
Promising review: "I will admit I bought these from seeing them on TikTok and I needed new clips for my thick hair. I am not disappointed and beyond glad I got them. The colors are gorgeous and they stay put without hurting my head. I'm very impressed." —Amazon Customer
Get a set of four from Amazon for $12.99.
23. Eden BodyWorks Coconut Shea Curl Defining Creme made with coconut oil, shea butter, aloe, and avocado oil help define and moisturize curls without buildup, so the next time you load Zoom everyone will pull out a pad to learn your routine and take notes. This medium-hold crème is ideal for wash 'n' gos, twist, or braid outs.
Eden BodyWorks is a Black woman–owned business established in 2004 that specializes in natural products to nurture, restore, and maintain hair. Reviewers with 2c through 4c hair mention it working well for them!
Promising review: "This curl defining creme is really good, and I consider it a must have. I have 4a, high density, low porosity, coarse hair. This gives my hair great definition and moisture. I think it works best as a part of the LCO method. Personally, I dampen my hair with water, apply this crème, and then follow up with a little bit of apricot or sweet almond oil. It doesn't mix well with products from other brands or other products in general other than oil, but that's not a bad thing considering you don't need anything else. Would definitely recommend this over curl-defining crèmes from other brands." —Crh
24. Essence's Lash Princess mascara, because TBH, we've all wasted too many years and too much money looking for the ~holy grail~ mascara. This one is less than $5 and will give you such instant length for such minimal effort it'll feel like a magic trick.
Hello, that is my face above, because I bought into the hype of over 140,000 5-star reviews and now I will never look back!! Putting it on is like giving my eyelashes butterfly wings. It doesn't get clumpy, it stays put ALL the livelong day (I spent all of last year's ridiculously hot pandemic summer wearing it, so I can speak to that), and you can apply it on very lightly if you don't want it to look so dramatic, or continue applying for longer lashes each time.
Promising review: "I am a 30 year old who has been wearing mascara since I was probably 15 or 16 and this is by far the best mascara ever. This beats Dior's almost-$40 mascara. A few times I made make up purchases based off of what reviewers and make up influencers hyped up and was disappointed, this surely wasn’t a disappointment." —Mary
Get it from Amazon for $8.55.
25. A versatile mechanical eyeliner pencil you can get in basics or a ton of fun colors — reviewers are especially obsessed because it not only rolls on easily and smudges beautifully without much effort, but stays PUT on your waterline.
Promising review: "You can't beat the price. The most perfect creamy, pigmented, and easy to put on eyeliner ever. I think most eyeliners are a bit stiff and kind of tug on the eye when you apply it but not this liner! I bought it in black but will be buying it in other colors as well. Also! If you like to smudge your waterline, this liner is perfect for that." —Kaykay
Get it from Amazon for $5.48 (available in 12 colors).
26. Plus a smudge-proof eyeliner stamp so you can finally get the perfect cat-eye on the first go without having to ~wing it~ (read: wasting eight cotton balls, half a bottle of eye makeup remover, and all of the minutes you were setting aside to make your morning coffee).
Psst — this tool is double sided, so you can choose the thickness of your wing, and comes with two stamp pens — one for each eye!
Promising review: "This goes on well and stays well. I cannot wing eyeliner for the life of me and this does it for me!! I just repurchased a second time and it's been almost a year since my first purchase...I use this daily! That means it lasted me almost a year. Can't beat the price point and quality for that! I also enjoy the clean ingredients. :)" —Nickel
Get a set of two from Amazon for $14.97 (available in two colors and four styles).
27. A reviewer-beloved, aloe vera–based curl refresher spray, because you've got enough on your plate to worry about revamping your entire wash 'n' go when you can rehydrate without frizz with this instead.
The Fro Experts is a Georgia-based, Black woman–owned natural haircare brand on Etsy formulated for type 3 and 4 hair textures.
Psst — this is meant to be used in place of water as a refresher, but per the brand, can be used right after conditioning as the “liquid” portion of the LOC method in your wash 'n' go or as a detangler.
Promising review: "OMG and AMEN ... Seriously, I have TRUE 4c hair and I have never in my 36 years experienced a true 100% natural/organic hair product, and for this to be my first time I'm beyond impressed. So pleased with my 2-year-old daughter's hair as well. :-) Product does EVERYTHING its described to do. :-)." —Rosanna Quinones
28. Plus a dry shampoo spray that helps absorb excess oil and give your roots so much oomph that you won't have to come up with some elaborate hairdo to hide them (or go through the whole shebang of washing your hair again).
Promising review: "This literally changed my life. I was one of those people who used to complain about needing to wash my hair DAILY. I have thin, light-blonde hair. I looked greasy and unkempt after one day, not even taking into consideration working out or sweating. But now?! A whole new world. I shampoo my hair in the shower on Sundays, just rinse my hair in the shower after days I do high-intensity sweaty exercise (three to five days per week), and use this in my hair every morning. It fluffs it, gives it volume, and makes it look brand new. I honestly can't believe how much this changed everything. Now my hair can look smooth and straight because I don't need to wash, dry, then straighten every morning (what a time suck!). Now I just straighten and use dry shampoo. I've used the extra time in mornings to improve my makeup routine, take my dog on longer walks, etc. AND I look more put together at work. Get this stuff. Conserve water. Never look back." —Eemn83
Get it from Amazon for $6.38.
Read BuzzFeed's reviews of dry shampoos for more deets!
Pssst — Batiste also sells dry shampoos for specific hair colors and in different scents!
29. Glossier's Skywash sheer matte lid tint with a diffused texture that blends so seamlessly into your eyelids that you don't have to deal with three other blending shades.
Promising review: "This is just so easy to apply and it's quite hard to mess up. I rarely wear eyeshadow for any reason other than going out and I'm excited that the color I purchased (Valley) is the perfect shade for day wear. I'm at the point in my life where if something isn't quick and easy to put on my face ... I just won't wear it. Very excited to try other colors as well." —alana
Get it from Glossier for $18 (available in seven shades).