1. For starters, the main character, Jane, is a virgin. But she was accidentally inseminated by her OB-GYN, so now she's a pregnant virgin.
Also, she's a teacher at a Catholic school, and the nuns at the school have created a website sharing her story/framing her to be "immaculata."
2. Jane is played by the fabulous Gina Rodriguez, who is so fabulous she won a Golden Globe for her portrayal after only nine episodes of the show had aired!
Nine episodes! It took Rodriguez less than half a season to convince the Hollywood Foreign Press Association that her show is a true gem.
3. Even though Jane's pregnant, she's going to keep the promise she made to her grandmother when she was a little girl and save herself until she's married. And post-baby.
If Jane's strength and resistance to peer pressure isn't a strong role model for young women — hell, anyone, really — I don't know what is!
4. The show also has an array of characters. For example, Jane's mom, Xiomara (Andrea Navedo), is pretty different from her daughter.
She got pregnant accidentally at 16 years old and is an aspiring dancer and singer.
5. Really, it's just a family show about three generations of women living under the same roof and dealing with everyday issues together.
Jane is very close with her mom and grandmother (Ivonne Coll), and she talks to them about everything. Truly everything.
6. Jane's just met her father, Rogelio (Jaime Camil), for the first time.
He happens to be a telenovela star who Jane has had a crush on her whole life. So the news, which came just weeks after finding out she was with child, was a lot to process!
7. And Rogelio is trying really hard to support and love his only child (that he knows about).
He's also very proud of his fame.
8. Like any excellent telenovela, there is a love triangle with Jane's fiancé and the father of her unborn child.
She also had a passionate make-out session with her unborn child's father five years before she got pregnant. JANE'S LIFE IS SO COMPLICATED, YET SHE ALWAYS MANAGES TO HAVE PERFECT CURLS IN HER HAIR. THIS GIRL…
9. A lot of the love-triangle conversations take place via texting. Because the show is new and fresh and up with the latest trends!
Seriously, this show is on point. It also films a lot of scenes in Target. Because everyone loves Target!
10. And there's TONS of drama. For instance, one time Jane found her boyfriend Rafael (Justin Baldoni) in bed with another woman.
But it turns out it was all a setup. He was just drugged, and nothing had happened between them. Phew, moving on!
11. Also, Raf's stepmother (Bridget Regan) is secretly having an affair with his sister (Yara Martinez).
So, naturally, the stepmother had the sister committed when she threatened to expose the affair. I mean, isn't that what you'd do?
12. Plus, Jane and her father burn voodoo dolls!
And it's only mildly creepy.
13. There's a scary man being held captive in a hotel room.
But he's also probably about to figure out a great escape plan from the television shows his captors allow him to watch all day.
14. That same hotel has crazy uniforms for the waitresses and is being overrun by mysterious murders.
I'm not sure which is more upsetting...
15. What great TV show doesn't feature a home filled with talking objects?
This might seem silly, but honestly, it's one of the best parts of the show. Just trust me.
16. Or a dark and twisted backstory involving Eastern Europe?
Never bend down to pick up a coin.
17. And poor Abuela being tossed down the stairs by a woman who, until this moment, had everyone convinced she required a wheelchair?
Revenge is coming because NOBODY MESSES WITH ABUELA.