1. Mae Whitman has been acting for 20 years, and one of her first roles was in 1996 when 8-year-old Mae starred as Maggie Taylor in One Fine Day.
When she thought she was going to be separated from the cats she’d fallen in love with, Maggie got a little emotional. Thankfully, her dad (George Clooney) let her take home Bob, whom she named because of the fact that “he looks like a bobcat.”
2. Two years later, she starred in Hope Floats as Bernice.
She was the only child of Bill (Michael Paré) and Birdee (Sandra Bullock), who moves with her mom back to her mother’s childhood town after finding out on live television that her dad was having an affair.
3. And that’s really where her crying ability began to shine through.
Bernice really loved her dad, but he didn’t want her to live with him. Hence the expert bawling in this scene above. Note: Mae was 10 years old at the time. I repeat, 10 YEARS OLD.
4. Years later, she was still crying in movies and on television.
5. But recently, she has perfected her on-screen tears as Amber Holt on Parenthood.
Like the time she was upset with her mom, Sarah (Lauren Graham), for taking her away from her boyfriend and making her feel like she was a mistake.
6. She can cry when she’s apologizing.
Like the time Amber told Haddie (Sarah Ramos) she slept with her ex-boyfriend and felt really bad about it.
7. Or when she feels like a screw-up.
For the aforementioned act.
8. Or when she just feels loved.
Like when Amber returned home after running away.
9. She can cry when she loses a friend.
Like when Kelsey’s (Zosia Mamet) mom thought Amber was a bad influence and banned them from hanging out.
10. She’s really good at crying when she’s scared.
Like when she was afraid of speaking with a recruiter at the University of Berkeley.
11. And especially good at crying while yelling.
Like when Amber’s dad Seth (John Corbett) missed all of her birthdays and she made him know how much that upset her.
12. She cries when she’s disappointed.
Like when Amber found out she didn’t get into the University of Berkeley.
13. And when she worries about other people being disappointed in her.
Like when she had to tell her Aunt Julia she didn’t get into the University of Berkeley.
14. Like, really worried.
And then she had to tell her mom she didn’t get into the University of Berkeley.
15. She cries when people make her feel special.
Like when Grandpa Zeek (Craig T. Nelson) told her she was his dream and she better not mess up his dream (after she was seriously hurt in a car accident).
16. Any time anyone says nice things about Amber, she will surely shed at least a single tear.
Like when Kristina (Monica Potter) reminded her that she is special and doesn’t need to sleep with her boss.
17. Or when she tries to make other people feel good.
Like when she asked her dad to leave town so her mom could move on.
18. She cries when she does something scary for the first time.
Like when she went to her first funeral with Ryan (Matt Lauria) and had a hard talk about the truths of going to war and coming back.
19. She also cries happy tears!
Like when Ryan poured his heart out to her.
20. Lots of happy tears!
Like when she told Ryan she didn’t want to live without him.
21. She cries when she’s ashamed.
Like when Ryan punched out a guy and ended up in jail.
22. And she really sobs when people leave her.
Like when Ryan re-enlisted without even talking to her about it first.
23. But she cries the best when she’s frightened.
Like when Amber thought she was becoming just like her dad.
24. Particularly, when she’s panicked and frightened.
Like when she got a call that Ryan was injured.
25. And when she has a shoulder to cry on, forget about it.
Especially if it’s Ryan’s shoulder.
26. Let it out, Mae. Let it out.
- Hidden from public view, there's a parallel legal universe that empowers corporations to bend countries to their will, an investigation reveals.
- Mexican music legend Juan Gabriel has died at 66. The singer was known for his mariachi tunes and ballads on love and heartbreak.
- Beyoncé slayed her "Lemonade" performance at the MTV VMAs Sunday night 👸🐝