2. However, many people are now suggesting that she stole several jokes from the late Patrice O’Neal, as well as from Wendy Liebman, Tammy Pescatelli, and Kathleen Madigan.
4. Fellow comedian Chuck Martin then implied that Madigan had had similar experiences.
6. Pescatelli then linked to a joke she made during Comedy Central’s Half Hour in 2006.
During the joke, she says: “Women dress for other women. That’s why, men, if we love you, we dress you for other women too. That’s why we dress you stupid. Because we want a woman to look at you and think, ‘He’s cute but I can’t fix all of this.’”
8. Then Pescatelli linked to a joke Madigan made during a sketch called “Slap Oprah”, back in 2011.
In the sketch, Madigan jokes about Oprah being rich enough to hire someone to literally slap food out of her hands in order to lose weight. She says: “I get why poor people are fat, but Oprah, you’re a billionaire. You have enough money to pay a man to stand there and literally slap shit out of your hand before you put it in your mouth. You could hire a full-time food slapper.”
In the sketch, Schumer is seen telling a friend about a new weight loss regime she’s following. She says: “It’s a new weight loss programme that takes decision-making out of the equation. First, one of the slap chefs makes you one of their signature dishes, then before you can say ‘Slap Chef’, they slap it out of your hands.” A montage of that happening then follows.
11. Pescatelli went on to tweet: “So many more but nobody listens…at least Cosby knocked his victimes out b4 he raped them.”
She continued: “No beef. Just presenting facts of oppression and degradation. I tell my truth today, because I too, have a dream.”
12. But before long, people across the internet were drawing more comparisons between Schumer’s jokes and the work of other comedians.
13. People pointed out that following her joke about slapping food out of Oprah’s hands, Madigan goes on to say Oprah could also pay somebody to move her limbs and exercise for her.
She said: “You’re so rich you could pay someone to exercise you. You could just lay there like a baby with cerebral palsy and have people move your legs.”
A voiceover says: “Sleep Gym is a workout programme where we do all the work. After we induce you into a coma, it’s off to the gym. As the Sleep Gym trainers take your body through strenuous workouts, the increased bloodflow painlessly burns the calories away. You’ll never feel yourself having to do annoying things ever again.”
20. The next joke O’Neal makes is this one.
He says: “There’s The Poltergeist. But you need your friend for this one. You’re fucking her from behind, and then you sneak out and he takes your place. And then you walk outside and wave at her through the window.”
21. While Amy says this.
She says: “The worst one I’ve ever heard is ‘The Houdini.’ It’s where the guy’s having sex with the girl from behind. Then, unbeknownst to her, his friend subs in for him. Guy 1 runs outside, knocks on the window, and waves to the girl.”
22. It wasn’t long before people began calling Schumer out on Twitter.
25. Others pointed out that she used to open for O’Neal and may have heard his material then.
26. However, now Schumer has denied any allegations of stealing jokes.
27. She also appeared on a US radio show, The Jim Norton Advice Show, to “clear her name”.
During the interview, she said: “I wanted to come and talk to you and clear my name, because I would never ever do that and I never have. I’m so like, ‘Is this anyone’s bit?’ I have to come up with so much material, for my TV show, this movie, stand-up, and I’m so careful, and none of these things had ever reached me. I would never do that, it would be so stupid for me to do that.”
She went on to say that she was going to take a lie detector test to prove that she had never seen the O’Neal sketch before.
28. Schumer went on to say that she believed Pescatelli was deliberately trying to stir up trouble with her tweets.
She said: “Kathleen and Wendy know me and don’t believe I would do that – I think that Tammy is trying to get something going, I don’t know … I think she is upset … people get upset by success.”
29. However, after Schumer’s comments were reported, Pescatelli took to Twitter to reject claims that she was starting trouble deliberately.
30. Many people have spoken out in support of Schumer, including actor and comedian Aziz Ansari.
When asked for further comment, Schumer’s publicist referred BuzzFeed to her interview with The Jim Norton Advice Show.