back to top

Emma Stone's Political BAFTAs Acceptance Speech Was Perfect

The actress referenced Brexit and Trump, and said creativity can "transcend borders."

Posted on

Emma Stone turned up to this year's BAFTAs looking completely goddamn flawless.

Getty Images

And she continued to have a pretty phenomenal evening, by winning the Leading Actress award for her role in La La Land.

Doug Peters / Doug Peters/EMPICS Entertainment

Following the theme of the night, Emma appeared to reference the political strife currently being experienced both in the UK with Brexit, and across the world since the election of Trump.

BBC

As she accepted her award, she spoke about the world feeling "divisive."

She said: "I don't know if you know, but this country – and the US, and the world, seems to be going through a bit of a time. Just a bit."
BBC

She said: "I don't know if you know, but this country – and the US, and the world, seems to be going through a bit of a time. Just a bit."

Advertisement

And went on to say that creativity can help drive positivity.

She said: "In a time that's so divisive I think it's so special we are able to come together tonight, thanks to BAFTA, to celebrate the positive gift of creativity."
BBC

She said: "In a time that's so divisive I think it's so special we are able to come together tonight, thanks to BAFTA, to celebrate the positive gift of creativity."

And how this can "transcend borders" to make people "feel a little less alone."

Emma said: "How it can transcend borders and how it can help people to feel a little less alone."
BBC

Emma said: "How it can transcend borders and how it can help people to feel a little less alone."

Yes Emma. 😭 👏