1. Pope Francis made friends with a parrot named Amore during his general audience at the Vatican on Wednesday.
6. The moment was particularly poignant as the pope chose the name Francis in honor of St. Francis of Assisi, the patron saint of animals.
7. Watch pope meet parrot in this video clip — if you listen closely, you can hear the bird saying, “Papa” around the 13-second mark.
- It's the third day of the Democratic National Convention. Here's where things stand 🇺🇸
- Prosecutors have dropped remaining charges against Baltimore police officers related to the death of Freddie Gray.
- Twelve states will support Obama's transgender policies in court after other states sued to block the rules.