1. A nightclub in Santa Maria, Brazil, hosted an event for students at the nearby Federal University of Santa Maria in Rio Grande do Sul on Saturday night.
2. Between 1,000 and 2,000 people packed the club, a guard told Diario de Santa Maria. The venue was at maximum capacity.
3. A fire broke out around 3 a.m., not long after the band Gurizada Fandangueira stated playing. The group is known for their pyrotechnic performances.
Pictured is accordion player Danilo Jacques, 28, who died in the blaze. All the other band members survived.
4. More than 233 people were killed and 100 injured. Most died from smoke inhalation.
5. Survivors reported that many struggled to find the club’s unmarked exits in the dark. Many mistook the bathrooms for exits and were trapped inside.
8. Some witnesses reported that as people fled the club, security guards tried to make sure they paid their bar tabs.
9. “It was like one of those films of the Holocaust, bodies piled atop one another,” police inspector Sandro Meinerz told the press. “We had to use trucks to remove them. It took about six hours to take the bodies away.”
12. The bodies of the victims were taken to a municipal gymnasium for identificiation.
13. Many of the bodies have yet to be identified.
Empty coffins and coffins with the corpses of the victims of the Boate Kiss nightclub fire are laid out as the victims are are identified by relatives at the municipal gymnasium on Jan. 27, 2012, in Santa Maria.
15. Inside the gym, Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff met with family members and friends waiting for news of their loved ones.
Rousseff had been attending a regional summit in Chile, but she returned to Brazil early to deal with the aftermath of the tragedy. “The Brazilian people are the ones who need me today,” she told reporters as she left the summit.
17. Mass wakes and burials began on Sunday.
A relative of victims of the fire at Boate Kiss nightclub attends a collective wake in the southern city of Santa Maria.
Relatives of Carlos Alexandre Machado, one of the victims of a fire at Boate Kiss nightclub, mourn during his funeral in the southern city of Santa Maria.
Cladimir Callegari, father of Mariana Callegari, one of the victims of a fire at Boate Kiss nightclub, cries during her funeral in the southern city of Santa Maria.
21. Police have reportedly arrested three people so far in connection with the fire — the club’s co-owner and two members of the band. They are now seeking a fourth suspect.
- John Glenn, a pioneering astronaut and the first American to orbit the Earth, has died at 95. Godspeed, Glenn 🚀🇺🇸
- Donald Trump will remain an executive producer on NBC's "The Celebrity Apprentice" while he's president.
- Trump has picked Andy Puzder, CEO of Hardee's and Carl's Jr. and an outspoken critic of raising the minimum wage, for labor secretary
- Mick Jagger is a new dad at age 73 and people have some things to say 👀