33 Small Tips That'll Make Your Living Room Where You Wanna *Always* Be
Magical-looking fairy lights, soft velvet throw pillows, and a perfectly aligned gallery wall are just the beginning of the zhuzhing that's about to happen in that place you've insultingly been calling "The TV Room."
We hope you love the products we recommend! All of them were independently selected by our editors. Just so you know, BuzzFeed may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page if you decide to shop from them. Oh, and FYI — prices are accurate and items in stock as of time of publication.
1. Hang up a tapestry (or something more substantial than a poster or print) that'll skim over any dents, unsightly utility panel doors, scuffs, or other marks that distract from your aesthetic.
2. Invest in a hanging frame helper so you can finally get all your wall art up and make it feel like home without eyeballing it. (You can only lean so many frames prints against the wall as a "look.")
3. If you have an exterior door leading into your living area, swap out one of those weird long pillows (sorry!) for a ~streamlined~ door draft stopper to keep fall gusts from coming in under the door. It'll just look like a natural part of your door so other decor design choices (like that cute welcome mat) can shine!
4. Tuck stray cords outta the way with cable clip organizers because there's no need to see OR trip over the video game console cord every time you walk by your entertainment center.
5. While we're on the subject of cords, mask an unsightly power strip in a sleek (but ventilated!) box that'll also keep kids and pets outta there. TBH, I need one of these in MY living room.
7. Or hang up a fairy light photo display with lil' clips so you can easily swap out the photos as you please. It'll create a lovely feature and help add another light source (every room needs three!), which will be especially welcome if you live in a place that has no ceiling light!
8. Hang up a set of room-darkening velvet curtains (with the rod ABOVE the window frame) for a super dramatic look. And make sure you measure the curtains correctly so you can get a glam floor-skimming look that draws the eye upward.
9. Cozy up your spot on the couch with some velvet throw pillow covers that'll also help distract from how, TBH, you could really use a new sofa.
10. And toss a punchy throw blanket with some pom-pom trim over your lackluster couch or chair to draw attention away from the fact that, wow, it's seen better days.
11. Or if you are extremely glamorous, take a similar approach with a faux-sheepskin rug to throw on a chair seriously lacking in comfort, at the foot of your couch, or in a number of spots!
12. While we're talking about faux-fur luxury, swap to an undercover dog bed for your furry lil' angel who gets to do what you'd like to do, lounge around all day while someone else works for the chow. At least with this, you'll have a luxe-looking, machine-washable surface they won't get in trouble for drooling all over.
13. Use a bottle of leather conditioner to revive your leather goods *even* as large as a leather couch! Welcome to your next project while you catch up on the latest ep of your fave true-crime podcast!
14. Cover up dings and discoloration on door frames and molding you can see outta the corner of your eye as you watch TV with some wood scratch cover so everything will blend in like normal. Also, it requires no sanding or refinishing! Cue to you on the prowl for more wood surfaces you can fix up.
15. And hide smaller scratches on your fave furniture with a set of wood repair markers. We love a repair instead of a replacement product!
16. Tidy up a modem-y mess by hiding it behind a bookish disguise as a decorative touch that's more useful than anyone could expect.
17. Erase the likes of spills, wine, and even Sharpie marker(!!!) with this powerful stain remover. As you can see, it even works on suede furniture.
18. Or stomp your way to pristine carpets (OK stain-less, maybe not pristine) with some stain-lifting pads made to tackle icky pet stains. You simply throw down a pad, step on it to activate its ~powers~, then check back later to see the results!
19. Distract from an unsightly lighting chain or cord with an electrical cord cover that'll look like it's just part of the decor.
20. Bring some ambient lighting to your entertainment focal point with a USB-powered LED light strip you attach to the back of your TV. Plus! Reviewers say it even makes the picture look sharper!
21. Keep your floors in tip-top shape (and prevent some nails-on-chalkboard scrapes) by putting furniture protectors on furniture legs. Any year you can avoid refinishing your floors is a GREAT year.
22. Repair chips, dents, cracks, and other eyesores with a set of 50 wood fillers. Dog scratched up your hardwood living room floors? NBD.
23. Revive wood surfaces that need a whole makeover with wood polish and conditioner. Don't replace your coffee table! Give it a facelift with this.
24. Store toys and any other items with the flick of a wrist in this collapsible storage ottoman in case you need to clear a play area ASAP.
25. Opt for a gorgeous coffee table you'll want to keep clear. Plus it has a nice extra storage area down below.
26. Buy yourself (literally) some extra book storage space with these floating bookshelves as straight-up compliment bait. Sometimes another bookcase can feel a bit crowded. These won't!
27. Or if that corner would make a great storage spot but, well, it's an awkward corner, this corner shelf can work for you without making your space feel too cramped.
28. *Artfully* corral items on your coffee table with a decorative tray that'll make it look perfectly styled — even if the other thing on the coffee table is an open pizza box serving as your dinner plate. (We've all been there, I vacation there often.)
29. Hang up an accent wall mirror on a wall adjacent to a window to help capture natural light and make your room look bigger, brighter.
31. Spring for a showstopping bookshelf if your place, unfortunately, doesn't have good bones. This one in particular creates the look of cool built-in storage (a dream feature)!
32. Zhuzh up a non-working (or working but dirty) fireplace with a gorgeous fireplace screen. Styles run the gamut and you can even snag some vintage ones!
33. If you're going for extra credit, try out a fireplace whitewashing kit for a transformation on the cheap. Don't even LOOK up how much it'll cost you for a new fireplace surround. Trust me.
Reviews have been edited for length and/or clarity.