18 Pet Grooming Products That Reviewers Said Gave Them Professional Results
Whether you're avoiding pricey groomer bills or have a finicky pet, these products will help you give 'em a pro(ish) makeover.
We hope you love the products we recommend! All of them were independently selected by our editors. Just so you know, BuzzFeed may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page if you decide to shop from them. Oh, and FYI — prices are accurate and items in stock as of time of publication.
1. A grooming rake that'll help loosen tangles and lighten your pup's undercoat — without the yelps.
Promising reviews: "It really gets out the hair from the undercoat of my Aussie without pulling and hurting her. It came highly recommended by my groomer. It really helps with shedding, pulls that undercoat out, and keeps my old girl cool in the Florida heat." —R. Smith
"This works amazing. I am a groomer and this works really well for the clients who have dogs with a lot of undercoat that’s shedding. I may get a second one for home use. And you can’t beat the price!" —Whitney
Get it from Amazon for $12.99.
2. A conditioner concentrate that might just help your dog get a hair model contract. I bet you'd make a GREAT momager.
3. A detangling shampoo that'll likely have you filming a slo-mo video for your grid of your dog shaking his glossy, NOT tangly ears.
Promising review: "I have been a professional dog groomer for over 35 years and this stuff does what it says it will. Even on the most coarse coats it turns it into a thing of beauty; any mats almost fall out. This is a whole new world for me. Who says you can't teach old dogs new tricks? This old dog just learned one." —sandra k. steele
4. A dog shampoo to reduce shedding and hopefully keep you from feeling like a giant fur-covered porcupine every time you get up from the couch.
Reviewers say that their dogs shed A LOT after the first wash with this deshedding shampoo, but over time they notice less shedding.
Promising review: "I used to be a professional dog groomer, and this stuff works!! Nothing takes away all the shedding of course, but this stuff and the conditioner really make a huge difference. The key is mostly in the conditioner; you rub it in to the coat, then use a dog dryer (NO heat) to blow the conditioner into the coat backwards. Next rinse out completely and again use the dryer. I like the fact that the ingredients are not full of all kinds of chemicals." —Jon
Get it from Amazon for $11.99.
5. A pair of mini clippers that'll help tidy up around the paws, eyes, ears, face, and rear end...giving the appearance they just went for a fresh haircut!
6. A pack of grooming wipes perfect for in between grooming appointments or as an alternative to professional grooming if you can't get your dog there for health or financial reasons.
Promising review: "Wipes are large enough to clean a very fluffy 20-lb Shih Tzu. After being wiped he is as fluffy as when he just went to the groomer and there is no artificial scent as with some wipes. He sleeps on our bed so I know that outdoor dirt and dander are wiped away before he gets onto the bed. I highly recommend these wipes." —HONEST REVIEWER
Get them from Amazon for $11.99 (available in two scents).
7. A nail grinder that, according to reviewers, will be a godsend for pets who hate or can't get to the groomer but are quite good at growing talons.
Promising review: "There are a lot of different devices out there to help trim your pets nails and I have probably bought and tried most of them. This tool is by far and away one of the best you can get for the price. It was the same one that my pet groomer used and charged me $25 for each nail trim. If you have the patience and are willing to invest a little time in your pet, you can get professional results without the hassle and cost of taking Fido or Kitty to the groomer. If your pets are like mine, they HATE loud noises, especially when you get near their paws, and struggle to get away. This is by far one of the quietest devises I have purchased and easy to handle. The battery lasted long enough to trim three dogs' and three cats' paws. It recharges quickly and conveniently via a USB charging device (which you will have to purchase separately). I used my iPhone charger. The first time you use it, you will want to go slow as it can grind pretty quickly depending on the thickness of your pet nails. You only want to grind long enough for the nail to get warn and NOT hot. I found that several two-to-three-second grindings worked much more effectively than 10+ seconds and my pets found it more tolerable. Your pets might not 'like' their first experience but keep at it (I did it once a week) and before you know it, you will be able to do just as good of a nail trim as a professional groomer." —Jeff B.
Get it from Amazon for $29.99 (available in two colors).
8. Or nail clippers for impatient pets who won't sit still long enough to let you go at them with a nail grinder.
Promising review: "I've bought other clippers before and just couldn't do my dog's nails. I honestly thought it just might be me not having enough strength. He's a medium-size dog with thick nails. I'd pay $7, then $10, then $12 to get his nails clipped. It just keeps going up. He was getting more agitated because he has ticklish paws (funny, right). I wasn't sure these would do very good because the price was so low, but the reviews were high. Well, I got these and we are not going back to the groomer's. Now I sit on the floor with him and clip his nails with no problem. The first time his nails were long so I clipped them once that day with the guard, which is nice to help you from moving and clipping too short. I went back a week later and clipped any that were still too long." —Julia
Get them from Amazon for $11.99
9. A handheld shower attachment that has TONS of pro groomer fans in the reviews. Reviewers also keep it at their homes for in-home grooming appointments.
Promising review: "Sure is easy to install. Makes washing my double-coated dog a breeze. If my house had more water pressure it would work even better. I love being able to stop the water flow on the handle instead of turning on and off the faucet. Love not having to pay to take my giant-breed dog to the groomer." —Elizabeth D.
Get it from Amazon for $33.
10. A cat dander spray to help condition your cat's dry skin while reducing flakiness.
11. A toothpaste that'll help reduce tartar and plaque formation — and maybe even improve your dog's dental sitch enough so you can skip a professional pricey cleaning where they have to put your dog to sleep.
Promising review: "My dogs are getting a little older (9 and 7) and my older girl started to have bad breath. I inspected both their teeth and discovered that they had tartar buildup. I decided to give this toothpaste a try as a first step before getting them professionally cleaned. After five uses their buildup is nearly gone! Seriously amazing product. It does not require heavy brushing, so I use a soft bristle toothbrush (human) and use it to spread the toothpaste as evenly as possible. My dogs do not mind it as long as I give them a ton of praise during and after. I have recommended it to everyone I know who has a dog." —Seraphim
12. A tearstain remover to brighten your dog's coat by lightening those dark marks around their eyes. It will be especially helpful for dogs with lighter coats.
Promising review: "I have a Maltese that had horrible red tearstaining. My groomer recommended this product and it’s amazing!! I wash her eyes every night with a child's small soft toothbrush and a small amount of this wash and in the morning I clean her eyes with Henry Schein tearstain remover on a cotton pad and her little eyes are white as snow. It’s soap free and has never irritated her eyes... Love it!!" –Stacey
13. A deshedding tool that'll remove the undercoat on long-haired cats...minus the painful tugging.
Promising review: "I was desperately trying to find a groomer that took care of cats, I ordered the Furminator and had the most amazing results and no longer need to hire a cat groomer. All three of my cats love to be brushed with the Furminator. And I no longer have any tumbleweeds of fur on the floor. I love this thing, it’s amazing how well it works." —sunny and cher
Get it from Amazon for $19.66+ (available in two sizes and four styles).
14. A portable paw washer to help remove mud and dirt from outside play before it gets tracked all over your inside floors.
Promising review: "We have an area in our backyard that our dogs love to walk through. They come back to the house looking like they have shoes on, covered in mud. The only inconvenience is having to dump and refill when they are coated in mud, but that is nothing compared to using baby wipes, which do not thoroughly clean their feet. My golden actually really enjoys getting his feet cleaned. When I grab the cup he literally approaches me, ready to dip his feet...After the first use he was hooked. Their feet also smell less, and their hair looks as shiny and clean as when they come back from the groomer's. I'll be buying one to two more...just because they are so reasonably priced, and to avoid dumping and refilling during cleaning four paws...which really is a minimal inconvenience." —C Caputo
Get it from Amazon for $13.83 (available in sizes S–L and six colors).