29 Closet Organizing Tricks That'll Actually Work
So you can actually see what the heck you have and then wear it!
We hope you love the products we recommend! All of them were independently selected by our editors. Just so you know, BuzzFeed may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page if you decide to shop from them. Oh, and FYI — prices are accurate and items in stock as of time of publication.
Hey! While we try to keep our posts updated as much as we can, this post is actually from 2018, so we can't guarantee that the pricing and/or availability of the products featured are accurate. For our most up-to-date recommendations, check out the 2019 version of this post!
1. If you're trying to pare down, loop in an *honest* friend who'll tell you what looks good and what doesn't.
4. Mount motion sensor lights (like I did!) in there to see the differences between your two denim jackets.
6. No matter what your wardrobe holds, sort by type and then color of clothing because your line of thinking is most likely "Oh I need a jacket, a black jacket, my black jacket with the patch on the back..." when getting dressed.
7. If possible, switch out your seasonal pieces so your Penny Lane coat isn't obscuring your light rain jacket in July. (Perhaps you could use some vacuum storage bags?)
8. Fill that dead space below your hanging tops with an adjustable closet doubler that does exactly what its name says.
9. Avoid an avalanche of (neatly) folded garments thanks to ThreadStax. (Every other closet-organizing story says to stack them, but you can't keep them tidy!)
10. Get scrappy to make room for stuff you need, like doubling up regular old hangers with a soda tab when you require more space ASAP.
11. Make stuff stay put — lest a shirt fall off the hook and you don't find it until six months later — with thin non-slip hangers.
13. If your hangers tend to bunch up and wrinkle your clothes, slip on some hanger spacers to keep garments tidy.
14. Need some detailed division? Label these blank dividers (with the provided 60 labels or a marker) to make tracking down your summer dress shirts way quicker.
15. Install a valet rod to hold on to your next day's ensemble 'til you get an IRL butler to manage that shit.
16. Plan out a week's worth of outfits or just hang up your outerwear or fancy ballgowns on a clothing rack with lil' shelves up top and below for extra storage.
17. Like you did with your clothes, group your shoes together by type and color so zeroing in on your embroidered velvet ankle boots will be NBD.
18. Line up your shoes on open shelves? *Safely* shelve them in less room with these stacking shoe organizers that put your best foot(wear option) forward.
19. Or transform an empty niche into a storage solution you'll wanna ogle with some nondescript tension rods.
20. Hang up knee-high boots with a specially designed boot rack because those puppies take up a lot of room on shelves and floors — even if you do stuff them with old pool noodles to help keep their shape.
21. Force a door to work for its supper with an OG shoe organizer because damn if it isn't effective for things like flats, scarves, and leggings.
22. Store your investments (aka your bags) up and off the floor. If you're fortunate enough to have the shelf space, keep them upright with clear dividers.
25. Finally see the baubles you have with this simple jewelry organizer (complete with loops for necklaces!) that fits on your clothing rod or hooks onto other surfaces.
26. Stash like-minded accessories in clear storage boxes so you can find the perfect sunnies for that outdoor wedding you're going to this weekend.
You reveling in your gloriously organized closet:
While you're in the organizing ~mood~, check out some life-changing organization products and: