This is Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger. You’ve probably heard of them. Their best friend is a guy called Harry Potter. You’ve probably heard of him too, but he’s not that important compared with Ron and Hermione, tbh.
Because Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger are, without a doubt, the most important literary couple of all time. All. Time.
“But what about Romeo and Juliet?” I hear you cry. “What about Jay Gatsby and Daisy Buchanan, or Elizabeth Bennet and Mr Darcy?”
1. Let’s start from the very beginning: From the moment they met, we all knew that Ron and Hermione were meant to be.
2. Theirs is the classic hate-to-friendship-to-love story. And it’s beautiful.
3. Remember in their first year at Hogwarts, when Hermione was all, “It’s LeviOsa”? You probably thought they hated each other, didn’t you?
4. Think again. Because later, Ron used Hermione’s advice during that class to literally save her life.
5. And then, later, Ron totally put himself directly in the face of danger ~just~ to make sure Hermione was safe. And also probably to show off a bit.
And, OK, yes, he was also helping to save the Wizarding World from Voldemort or whatever. But that’s less important.
6. Remember when Ron stepped in to protect Hermione after Malfoy called her the Worst Thing Imaginable?
7. And then he ended up vomiting slugs for hours afterwards?
Would you do that for just a friend? No, I didn’t think so.
8. What about when Hermione was petrified by the Basilisk, and Ron just wasn’t the same?
9. And then when she was revived, everything was back to being perfect again, and Ron made this face:
10. And what’s a budding love story without an awkward handshake, because they can’t just admit that they love each other and hug?
It’s pointless, that’s what it is.
11. Prisoner of Azkaban was when they started to bicker like an old married couple pretty much constantly, and therefore solidified their own fates.
12. Also this:
Just leaving that there.
13. Remember when Malfoy was a dick to Ron, and Hermione was so ready to fight him?
Small aside: Still confused about the weird replacement Goyle.
14. “Oh, but this just means they’re good friends,” I hear you saying. “Hermione obviously belongs with Harry, romantically.”
Does she, now? Does she really?
15. If she belonged with Harry, then why wasn’t it Harry who was all jealous when Krum invited Hermione to the Yule Ball?
16. I’ll tell you why: Because Harry was too busy being a bad date to Parvati, because he was hung up on Cho.
“Hermione who?” – Harry, probably
17. It wasn’t Harry who was so jealous of Krum that he accused Hermione of ~fraternising with the enemy~.
18. Can you imagine Hermione saying this to Harry? Can you? I don’t think so.
19. Hermione and Harry don’t wear matching striped shirts.
Couples who match together stay together.
20. Harry doesn’t make Hermione laugh like this:
21. What does Hermione smell when she’s around Amortentia, the most powerful love potion in the world? She smells Ron.
22. Remember when Hermione put the Confundus Charm on McLaggen so that Ron would become Gryffindor Keeper, even though he was dating Lavender at the time?
23. What about when Hermione spent all of sixth year crying on Harry’s shoulder, because she was upset that Ron was with Lavender?
24. Remember why Ron and Lavender broke up?
25. At Bill and Fleur’s wedding, Ron could barely take his eyes off Hermione. It was adorable.
26. And, during the same wedding, Ron got totally jealous of Hermione’s ex, and then this happened:
Everyone could see that they were supposed to be together. And those are the best kinds of relationships.
27. And then that night they definitely fell asleep holding hands.
Notice they’re still wearing matching stripes.
28. The idea of Hermione ending up with Harry is so terrible that it is literally the result of the most evil magic ever. Literally.
Do you REALLY want to support the same ‘ship as LORD VOLDEMORT?
29. Even when Ron left – and Hermione spent most nights crying – he came back because Hermione called his name.
30. And when Harry and Ron were trapped in the cellar of Malfoy Manor, and Harry was trying to find a way to escape, all Ron could think about was saving Hermione.
31. And not only was their first kiss the best and most important first kiss of all time…
32. But it was so, so much better in the book.
“IT’S NOW OR NEVER, ISN’T IT?”