1. Myth - "Favelas are 'Slums'"
2. Myth - "All Favelas are the same"
3. Myth - "All favelas are illegal"
4. Myth - "All favelas are dangerous"
5. Myth - "All Favela tours are bad"
6. Myth - "Homes in Favelas are shoddily built"
7. Myth - "People want to leave and get out of favelas"
8. Myth - "Rio would be better without favelas"
What is a favela?
Rio's favelas have a fascinating history and the Olympics provide a perfect opportunity to learn more. It is impossible to generalize about the favelas because of their immense diversity of history. Even if you don't visit a favela, you will see them. Take this opportunity to educate yourself about the realities of these neighborhoods, the struggles they face, and the culture they bring to Rio's urban fabric.