The Hoverboard was one of the hottest gifts of 2015! This two-wheeled, self-balancing scooter appeals to children of all ages, but parents should be aware of their potential danger prior to purchasing one of these mobile devices for their kids!
Prior to purchasing or riding a hoverboard, parents and children should follow these safety tips:
1. There have been reports of fires during the charging of hoverboards! Always read the packaging insert or instructions before powering it up.
2. Dissuade children from performing risky or dangerous tricks, and never allow more than 1 child at a time to ride the hoverboard.
3. Ensure the indoor riding area is free of toys, décor, and furniture, and never allow children to ride their hoverboards near stairs or on uneven surfaces.
4. While outdoors, children and teenagers should always wear properly fitting, safety-certified helmets, wrist guards, elbow/knee pads, and reflective/light-colored clothing (especially at nighttime).
5. Hoverboard use, especially on or near public roads, sidewalks, and parking lots, should be avoided or supervised by an adult at all times.
6. Weather and road conditions should be observed, and areas with wet, oily, bumpy, uneven, and/or crowded pathways and riding areas, should be avoided.
7. Be sure to adhere to local laws regarding hoverboard use in public. In many cities, including New York City, riding on hoverboards in public is illegal and subject to a hefty fine.