The National Rifle Association absorbed some predictable jabs from liberal pundit Paul Krugman on ABC while their defiant leader Wayne LaPierre seemed dazed by the uppercut delivered by Chris Wallace on Fox News.
2. Paul Krugman takes on ABC panel after he calls the NRA, “an insane organization.”
“What strikes me is we’ve actually gotten a glimpse into the mindset, though, of the pro-gun people and we’ve seen certainly Wayne LaPierre and some of these others. It’s bizarre … They have this vision that we’re living in a Mad Max movie and that nothing can be done about it. That America cannot manage unless everybody’s prepared to shoot intruders, that the idea that we have police forces that provide public safety is somehow totally impractical, despite the fact that, you know, that is, in fact, the way we live.”
3. And Fox News’s Chris Wallace took issue LaPierre’s NRA ad featuring the First Daughters.
“You really think that the president’s children are the same kind of target as every school child in America?” That’s ridiculous and you know it, sir.”
- More than 35 people have died in a suicide bombing attack on Istanbul's international airport, Turkish officials said.
- The president of the EU Council says the bloc's leaders want UK's exit plans "to be specified as soon as possible."
- More athletes — nearly all of them golfers — have pulled out of the Rio Olympics over Zika virus concerns.