1. During a concert on July 18, living legend George R.R. Martin crashed the set.
He proceeded to completely trash a guitar while Neil Gaiman forced an apology out of the performers, Paul & Storm.
2. It was “revenge” for this parody, put out in 2012, as a plea to the Game of Thrones writer.
This is what they were singing when Martin made his grand entrance in the video above:
3. So where does Neil Gaiman come into this?
Back in 2009, a fan wrote in to Gaiman’s journal, asking for his opinion on if George R.R. Martin owed it to his fans to write faster. This was Gaiman’s response:
Look, this may not be palatable, Gareth, and I keep trying to come up with a better way to put it, but the simplicity of things, at least from my perspective is this:
George R.R. Martin is not your bitch.
This is a useful thing to know, perhaps a useful thing to point out when you find yourself thinking that possibly George is, indeed, your bitch, and should be out there typing what you want to read right now.
People are not machines. Writers and artists aren’t machines.
The whole response is worth a read, if you are so inclined.
In the end, what happened on stage with Paul & Storm was a culmination of four years of geekery across multiple media platforms coming together in a perfect storm of good fun!
- President Trump has been sued by top legal scholars over alleged conflicts of interest with his foreign business entanglements.
- "Welcome to the movement": Women's March on Washington organizers are working tirelessly to make sure first-time marchers stick around ✊
- Alt-right news platform Breitbart News is set to expand its presence in Italy, BuzzFeed News has learned 📰 🇮🇹
- The New England Patriots are heading to the Super Bowl yet again. They'll play the Atlanta Falcons on Feb. 5 🏈