6. Bill Nighy - Turned down being the 12th Doctor.
According to Nighy, he was afraid of the baggage that comes with playing such an iconic character. However, a guest appearance as van Gogh expert Dr. Black was perfectly acceptable.
5. Chiwetel Ejiofor - Turned down offer to be the 11th Doctor.
Insiders at the BBC told The Mirror Matt Smith only got the role after the Serenity villain turned down the part.
4. Robert Carlyle - Shortlisted to play the 11th Doctor.
Luckily Carlyle didn't get his wish or audiences would not have been able to fall in love with his rendition of Rumpelstiltskin.
3. Anthony Stewart Head - Auditioned for the role of the 8th Doctor.
Though he lost out on the role to Paul McGann, Head would appear in the New Who as Mr. Finch in the second series.
2. Hugh Grant - Turned down offer to play the 9th Doctor.
Fearful the 2005 revival would be a flop, Grant passed on the offered role.
1. Catherine Zeta-Jones - Considered as the 11th Doctor.
When it was announced Tennant would be leaving the show, Russell T. Davies suggested the Welsh actress would be a great female Doctor.