On August 1st, 1971 the Fallen Astronaut memorial was installed by the crew of Apollo 15. Known as the first art on the moon, the tin man was commissioned by Belgian artist Pual Van Hoeydonck.
The plaque lists the names of fourteen men, eight American and six Soviet, who lost their lives in the pursuit of space flight. Unfortunately several deceased were left off the list. They included Soviet cosmonauts Valentin Bondarenko and Grigori Nelyubov, who’s work had been so secret at the time no one outside the Soviet space program was aware of their death. Also left out were American astronauts Robert Henry Lawrence, Jr. and Michael James Adams. Robert was the first African-American astronaut.
2. The Names On The Plaque:
• Theodore Freeman (October 31, 1964, aircraft accident)
• Charles Bassett (February 28, 1966, aircraft accident)
• Elliott See (February 28, 1966, aircraft accident)
• Gus Grissom (January 27, 1967, Apollo 1 fire)
• Roger Chaffee (January 27, 1967, Apollo 1 fire)
• Edward White (January 27, 1967, Apollo 1 fire)
• Vladimir Komarov (April 24, 1967, Soyuz 1 re-entry parachute failure)
• Edward Givens (June 6, 1967 automobile accident)
• Clifton Williams (October 5, 1967, aircraft accident)
• Yuri Gagarin (March 27, 1968, aircraft accident)
• Pavel Belyayev (January 10, 1970, disease)
• Georgi Dobrovolski (June 30, 1971, Soyuz 11 re-entry pressurization failure)
• Viktor Patsayev (June 30, 1971, Soyuz 11 re-entry pressurization failure)
• Vladislav Volkov (June 30, 1971, Soyuz 11 re-entry pressurization failure)
- In case you missed it: Trump and Clinton roasted each other at a charity dinner and it was awkward AF 😬
- It's not just you. A massive attack has brought down major sites like Twitter and Spotify for some users in the US.
- A Mexican judge has approved the extradition of drug cartel leader Joaquín "El Chapo" Guzmán to the United States.
- People are trolling Eric Trump for apparently getting caught putting lemonade in a free water cup at In-N-Out.