2. The plot synopsis from the official press release:
The year is 2048. Meet JOHN KENNEX (Urban), a cop who survived one of the most catastrophic attacks ever made against the police department. After waking up from a 17-month coma, he can’t remember much – except that his partner was killed; his girlfriend, ANNA MOORE (guest star Mekia Cox, “Crazy, Stupid, Love.,” “Undercovers”), left him after the attack; and he lost one of his legs and is now outfitted with a highly sophisticated synthetic appendage. Suffering from depression, mental atrophy, trauma-onset OCD, PTSD and the “psychological rejection of his synthetic body part,” John returns to work at the behest of longtime ally Captain SANDRA MALDONADO (Emmy Award nominee Lili Taylor, “Six Feet Under,” “Ransom”).
By mandate, every cop must partner with a robot. And despite his passionate aversion to androids, John is paired up with a battle-ready MX-43. But he abruptly terminates his partnership after the robot discovers incriminating information about him. So technician RUDY LOM (Mackenzie Crook, “Pirates of the Caribbean” franchise) introduces John to DORIAN (Ealy), a discontinued android with unexpected emotional responses. Although such responses were deemed flaws, it is in these “flaws” that John relates to Dorian most. After all, John is part-machine now, and Dorian is part-human. John and Dorian’s understanding of each other not only complements them, it connects them.
As he adjusts to working with his new partner, John also must learn to get along with his new colleagues, including the eager and somewhat starstruck Detective VALERIE STAHL (Minka Kelly, “Friday Night Lights,” “(500) Days of Summer”) and the distrustful Detective RICHARD PAUL (Michael Irby, “Law Abiding Citizen,” “The Unit”), who does not welcome John back with open arms. ALMOST HUMAN will follow the week-to-week missions of John and Dorian, as they fight crime across this futuristic landscape, while the mysteries surrounding his attack and the larger mythology of this new world unfold.”
3. Summaries are boring! Let’s break this trailer down via the only acceptable medium: GIFS!
4. Obligatory “Big Brother” hover spy cam.
5. MX-43 process a lot of information.
6. Monorails finally got a foothold, as did enclosed motorcycles?
The future still suffers from traffic delays though.
7. City skylines are mostly recognizable.
8. More skyline porn.
9. Cybernetic limbs are super advanced but won’t work right if they’re psychological rejected.
10. Holographic police tape: Just as effective as corporeal police tape.
11. 30,000 channels and still nothing on.
Also, Kennex owns a lot of guitars.
12. Androids are powered up with complex holograms and tiny lightsabers.
13. Dorian can upload human blood…wait, did his face just glow?
14. Yep, he’s definitely got cracks showing off a glow. Must be important, right?
15. “Dead” MX-43 units can replay feedback via projection.
16. In the future, guns shoot jellyfish rounds.
17. Annnnd futuristic electroshock can lead to a flashback montage.
- In case you missed it: Trump and Clinton roasted each other at a charity dinner and it was awkward AF 😬
- Think before you trust Facebook: Hyperpartisan pages are posting false or misleading information up to 38% of the time 💻⁉️
- A Mexican judge has approved the extradition of drug cartel leader Joaquín "El Chapo" Guzmán to the United States.
- This guy casually sat in a flooding Starbucks during intense storms in Hong Kong and became the internet's newest hero.