8. Dorothy’s Iconic White Shirt Was Actually Pink
TRUE: Due to the idiosyncrasies of Technicolor, it was easier to film a pink shirt and make it look white then to film a white shirt and make it look white.
7. The Wicked Witch Cries Out “Fly, Fly My Pretties!”
FALSE: The oft misquoted line is, “Fly, Fly, Fly!”
6. Buddy Ebsen Was Originally Cast As The Tin Man But Was Recast When The Make-up Almost Killed Him
TRUE: With four weeks of rehearsal under his belt and all the Tin Woodsman songs recorded, Buddy Ebsen was rushed to the hospital when his lungs failed. He’d had a deadly lung infection caused by the silver aluminum dust mixed with clown paint being used as make-up. Ebsen spent two weeks in the hospital and another month recovering at home.
5. The Land Of Oz Was Named For L. Frank Balm’s Cabinet Drawer Marked O-Z
UNKNOWN: Although seemingly an open and shut case of fact since Baum himself confirmed the story in 1903, enough dissenters including his own wife and children, has left this mystery to the murky waters of time.
4. Margaret Hamilton’s Make-Up Was Life Threateningly Toxic
TRUE: The green skin Wicked Witch of the West was a copper based make-up that could be fatal if ingested, leading Hamilton to subsist on a mostly liquid diet while on set. Her face retained a green tinge weeks after shooting concluded.
2. Unbeknownst At The Time, Professor Marvel Is Wearing L. Frank Baum’s Jacket
TRUE: Stranger than fiction. For Marvel’s look, the director wanted a kind of seedy gentility, so the costume department went down to a second-hand store and picked out a bunch of coats. On set, actor Frank Morgan turned the coat pocket inside out. To his shock, “L. Frank Baum” was stitched on the inside. Later both Baum’s tailor and widow would confirm the jacket had belonged to the author.
This post was created by a user and has not been vetted or endorsed by BuzzFeed's editorial staff. BuzzFeed Community is a place where anyone can post awesome lists and creations. Learn more or post your buzz!
- The White House defended rolling back Obama-era transgender protections, with Sean Spicer repeatedly insisting it's a "states' rights issue."
- Recreational marijuana needs "greater enforcement" of federal law, said Spicer, pitting the White House against eight states that legalized its use.
- A researcher with Human Rights Watch was denied entry into Israel earlier this week with the country's government calling the human rights organization "propaganda."
- Beyoncé has pulled out of performing at Coachella, citing doctors' advice about keeping a less rigorous schedule while pregnant 🐝😭