1. Does he prefer being Grey or White?
RT @jdocampo13: @IanMcKellen #AskGandalf Can You explain better how you became The White Wizard and which is your favorite film of LOTR ?— The Hobbit
My favorite of the LOTR Trilogy was the first because it’s more fun to be Gandalf the Grey than Gandalf the White.— The Hobbit
2. Sir Ian likes to watch television.
RT @ShakerHymns: @TheHobbitMovie Sir Ian, what’s your favourite TV show? #AskGandalf #TheHobbit— The Hobbit
The TV show I watch regularly is on BBC2, the show about current politics called “Newsnight.”— The Hobbit
3. His feelings on Agent Smith, I mean, Lord Elrond, I mean Hugo Weaving?
RT @_Lindeman: @TheHobbitMovie What’s it like being around Lord Elrond (Hugo Weaving)? I’m certain it’s a treat, yeah? #AskGandalf— The Hobbit
Yes, Hugo and I laugh a lot. And I would like to work with him in the theatre.— The Hobbit
4. Gandalf Vs. Magneto. FIGHT!
RT @GoodGolyMsMolly: @TheHobbitMovie who would win in a fight? Gandalf or Magneto and why? #AskGandalf— The Hobbit
The old guy, of course. With his 7,000 years of experience. Incidentally, I’ve answered this and other questions before on my website…— The Hobbit
5. What does Gandalf drink?
RT @C_Lioneye: @TheHobbitMovie #AskGandalf What is Gandalfs drink of choice? (alcoholic or non alcoholic)— The Hobbit
Well, in #TheHobbit, he is offered a cup of tea, but says he’d prefer a glass of red wine. The only trouble is dwarves drink out of much— The Hobbit
smaller glasses than wizards do.— The Hobbit
6. Are those smoke rings real or CGI?
RT @NorCalDan714: @TheHobbitMovie #AskGandalf Can you make smoke rings like Gandalf can?— The Hobbit
7. He gets a little dodgy when asked to name his favorite Dwarf.
RT @_Johnlock_: @TheHobbitMovie #AskGandalf Do you have a favourite Dwarf?— The Hobbit
8. But is very diplomatic about whether or not he likes cats.
RT @eddardstarrrrk: @TheHobbitMovie #AskGandalf Sir, you like cats?— The Hobbit
I like the big cats… the lions, the tigers, the jaguars, the cheetahs, the leopards, but domestically, I’m more at ease with dogs.— The Hobbit
9. Sir Ian ponders the big questions about Gandalf’s life.
RT @AnnaCavey: #AskGandalf If you could personally ask Tolkien about Gandalf, what would it be?— The Hobbit
Where does Gandalf keep his toothbrush?— The Hobbit
And does he have a house somewhere?— The Hobbit
10. And knows he’ll always been seen as the Wizard to millions of people
RT @samurai_dudley: Are you proud to know that you will always be seen as Gandalf to millions of Tolkien fans? #AskGandalf— The Hobbit
Yes, of course. I’m very lucky to have become involved with films that have become classics.— The Hobbit
11. He likes music in theory, I guess?
RT @Dariusaqua: @TheHobbitMovie Sr Ian What kind of music do you like? #AskGandalf— The Hobbit
I like almost any music played live from Beethoven to jazz to rock, but I don’t play music at home.— The Hobbit
12. And still has places left on his bucket list.
RT @zeyneperdoan: Sir Ian where is the one place would you like to go and you have never been too ? #AskGandalf @TheHobbitMovie— The Hobbit
I have never visited South America, and I hope one day I make it to Easter Island.— The Hobbit
13. He gives advice on where to live in Middle Earth.
RT @JesusCowell: @TheHobbitMovie if you could pick anywhere to live in Middle-Earth, which realm would you choose? #AskGandalf— The Hobbit
Hobbiton, every time. You can now visit Mata Mata and see the original film set.— The Hobbit
14. And talks about doing (some of) his own stunts.
RT @Fizzybubbles251: @TheHobbitMovie Gandalf rides horses quite often, did you do this or did they use stunt doubles? :-) #askGandalf— The Hobbit
I actually mount, sit in the saddle, and dismount, but if you see Gandalf speeding along on horseback, that’s not me… it’s Gandalf.— The Hobbit
15. Sir Ian was a Tolkien fan before it was cool.
RT @FeyzaNurArslan: #AskGandalf Dear Sir Ian, did you read Tolkien when you were young?— The Hobbit
I read #TheHobbit in my late teens.— The Hobbit
16. And is not a name brand snob when it comes to clothes.
RT @fetustinafey: Where do you buy your sweaters, Sir Ian? #AskGandalf— The Hobbit
I buy my sweaters in the sales.— The Hobbit
17. He talks about the perils of Gandalf’s beard.
RT @brandnewskies: #AskGandalf Have things ever gotten caught in your beard while filming?— The Hobbit
Sometimes Rick, my makeup artist, had to remove the remains of lunch.— The Hobbit
18. And his favorite props from the trilogy.
RT @GSP_Jones: @TheHobbitMovie Sir Ian, what was your favourite prop from the Lord of the rings? (: #AskGandalf— The Hobbit
All the props are made in the @wetaworkshop. And are immaculate, particularly the weapons. Glamdring is a magnificent sword.— The Hobbit
19. If not Gandalf, who would he have liked to play?
RT @Lizizzz: @TheHobbitMovie #askgandalf if you could play another Tolkien character, who would it be?— The Hobbit
It’s too late, but I would have liked a shot at Bilbo.— The Hobbit
20. Like Dwarves, he’s not about to fall into the “Favorite Hobbit” trap.
RT @jasperkaas: @TheHobbitMovie Sir Ian, who do you like more? Merry or Pippin? #ASKGANDALF— The Hobbit
21. He gives great Wizard fashion advice.
RT @s_parvati: Sir Ian, if not grey or white, what color do you think Gandalf should be/would look good in? #AskGandalf @TheHobbitMovie— The Hobbit
Silver or maybe a robe of many colors.— The Hobbit
22. Why he won’t be visiting Russia any time soon.
RT @anna_brightside: @TheHobbitMovie #AskGandalf Dearest Sir Ian, have you ever been to Russia?— The Hobbit
Yes, during the Soviet years. Very depressed, but new laws have been passed in St. Petersburg and Moscow, which discourage gay people from— The Hobbit
being open and celebrating Gay Pride Week.— The Hobbit
23. He has no idea how he got the part of Gandalf.
RT @MomsChooseJeff: How many auditions did it take for u to get the role of Gandalf for LOTR? Was there stiff competition? #AskGandalf— The Hobbit
I didn’t go to any audition.— The Hobbit
You would have to ask Peter Jackson how I got the part.— The Hobbit
24. But he has retroactive advice for his teenage self.
RT @Music0ftheNight: @TheHobbitMovie Sir Ian, what’s one thing you would say to your 16-year-old self? #AskGandalf— The Hobbit
25. On the same note, he also has good advice for today’s teens.
RT @Anon_Trolling: #AskGandalf I’m gay and it’s still difficult to deal with ignorant, homophobic people - how do you deal with it?— The Hobbit
Find friends who will accept you for what you are. Be honest with them and then, one day, you’ll be able to be open to the whole world.— The Hobbit
If people can’t accept for what you are, they’re not worth bothering about.— The Hobbit
26. Immortality. Yay or nay?
RT @JaceBantfos: #AskGandalf Sir Ian, would you like to be able to live as long as gandalf? Or would you choose a human life?— The Hobbit
At my age, I realize that I’m not immortal, like Gandalf seems to be, so I’ll settle for the time that I am given.— The Hobbit
27. How does Sir Ian feel about OTHER wizards?
RT @AvhMedia: @TheHobbitMovie would you ever play a wizard again in any fantasy film? #AskGandalf— The Hobbit
No. Gandalf’s the main wizard.— The Hobbit
28. Things get a little saucy when discussing the, ahem, traits of Legolas and Aragorn.
RT @poxajub: @TheHobbitMovie Do you prefer Legolas or Aragorn? Greetings from Brazil!! #AskGandalf— The Hobbit
I’d prefer to spend the evening with Aragorn, but the night with Legolas.— The Hobbit
29. And then they get even sexier…
RT @tyronej1984: #AskGandalf can I stroke your beard?— The Hobbit
30. Sir Ian talks about why New Zealand was the only place to film these movies.
RT @dogsydni: #AskGandalf If LOTR and The Hobbit wasn’t filmed in New Zealand, what other location would be a good place to film it?— The Hobbit
There are plenty of Middle-earth locations in the UK, but they’re not suitable because everywhere there is evidence of human activity— The Hobbit
New Zealand has much fewer walls, fences, telegraph poles, etc.— The Hobbit
31. And his favorite actresses are all amazing choices.
RT @WhovianJoe: Who’s your favorite actress to act alongside with? #askgandalf— The Hobbit
In #TheHobbit, Cate Blanchett. In Shakespeare, Judi Dench. In anything, she would have to be Meryl Streep.— The Hobbit
32. His thoughts on religion are rather succinct.
RT @yariwari: @TheHobbitMovie #askgandalf I have always compared Gandalf with God, do you think it’s an apt comparison?— The Hobbit
I don’t believe in God, but I know Gandalf exists.— The Hobbit
33. And he has a cheeky answer for a question he must get a lot.
RT @Zain_901: #AskGandalf why cant i pass?!— The Hobbit
Because, I suppose, you didn’t revise properly for the examinations.— The Hobbit
34. But most importantly, is he a fan of chocolate?
RT @alerjikbunye: #AskGandalf Do you like chocolate?— The Hobbit
It’s not a passion, but I do like puddings… particularly a chocolate sponge pudding.— The Hobbit
35. Oh no! Sir Ian hit the Twitter post limit!
Sir @IanMcKellen’s parting words: What sort of technology is it that doesnâ€™t allow us to go on tweeting? All, wizard wishes until next time!— The Hobbit
- It's Day 2 of the Democratic National Convention in Philadelphia. Here's what you need to know.
- Three Qaddafi henchmen who are wanted for embezzling millions from Libya have been found living comfortably in Britain.
- ISIS has claimed responsibility for a church attack that killed a priest in northern France on Tuesday.