Everyone knows the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles from the late 80's cartoon show, but there is a lot more that you probably weren't aware of. So, how well do you know Leonardo, Michelangelo, Donatello and Raphael?
1. The original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle comic was created by Peter Laird and Kevin Eastman in 1984, but is not the same as the famous cartoons or movies - it was black-and-white and much more violent than the children's cartoon.
2. In the original comic, the turtles did not have their signature colours on their bandanas (blue for Leonardo, purple for Donatello, red for Raphael and orange for Michelangelo). Instead, all of the turtles had red bandanas.
3. In the very first comic, Splinter (the father figure and trainer of the turtles) instructs them of their true mission: to find and kill Shredder. And they do.
4. The turtles owe their origin to Daredevil, as Laird and Eastman had young Matt Murdock (unwittingly) create the accident that exposed the turtles to the ooze in the same accident that gave him his powers as Daredevil.
5. Going by the weapons each of the turtles use, Michelangelo was the first first turtle ever drawn by Eastman, due to the turtle having nunchucks.
6. The colours of the bandanas, Michelangelo saying "Cowabunga," April O'Neil being a reporter instead of a lab assistant and the turtle's love of pizza all came from the 1987 cartoon.
7. Shredder, the main villain of the turtles, was said to be inspired by Eastman seeing a larger cheese grater and asking, "Could you imagine a character with weapons on his arms like this?"
This post was created by a member of BuzzFeed Community, where anyone can post awesome lists and creations. Learn more or post your buzz!