1. Bánh Cuốn (Steamed Rice Cake)
Soft, delicately thin sheets of steamed rice cakes are served with crispy fried shallots, chopped cucumber, shredded romaine lettuce, bean sprouts, slices of pork sausage, chopped shrimp, scallions, and ground beef - all drizzled with fish sauce. Sometimes, the restaurants that serve these will usually complement bánh cuốn with crispy potato shrimp tempura and deep fried mung bean batter cakes.
OMG it’s a flavorful heaven on a plate!
3. Gỏi cuốn (Spring Rolls)
Not to be confused with your traditional egg rolls, these are different in that they’re not fried but still equally delectable! These come in varieties of ingredients but my favorite spring rolls are the grilled pork (nem nướng̣ cuốn - image shown).
Dip it in peanut sauce, and your tastebuds will go on the ride of your life!
12. Cháo (Congee/Porridge)
The Vietnamese version of chicken noodle soup. I can always count on cháo to get me through my colds and flu illnesses!
Serving suggestion: get some Chinese donuts (called Youtiao), break them apart and put it in the congee to eat with the soup. SO MUCH YUM.
14. Cơm chiên (fried rice)
This is not your typical fried rice, folks! Vietnamese style fried rice has your typical veggies with bits of egg, cilantro and bits of super tasty sausage (lạp xưởng). When I brought these home-cooked fried rice dishes to elementary school potlucks, it went FAST.
17. Bánh Tét (Sticky Rice Cake)
More often found during the Vietnamese New Year (Tét, which gives these their suitable names), these savory sticky rice cakes wrapped in banana leaves are usually filled with mung bean paste or my personal favorites - the ones with banana and sweet red bean filling.
- The Democratic National Convention starts today and it's already off to a rocky start. Here's what you need to know 🇺🇸🔔
- At least 2 people have been killed and 16 others were injured in a shooting outside a nightclub in Fort Myers, Florida, media say.
- Chris Froome won the Tour de France. He's the first Brit to win the cycling race three times 🚴