2. When you first heard the words to the main song.
Which tells us that we’re all born good, and it’s the world that tries to turn us against one another.
3. When Amos, Copper’s master, tells him he’s supposed to hunt Tod.
Their whole relationship is a great allegory for war, and the way we’re inculcated into being enemies. It’s especially deep when you consider famous incidents like that time in WWI when the French and Germans got together to celebrate Christmas, and then went back to fighting each other the next day.
5. When Copper is hunting Tod and gets attacked by a bear and Tod defends him.
Reminding us that when push comes to shove, our basic instinct to want to help others overcomes our social conditioning.
6. And afterwards, when Amos tries to shoot Tod, and Copper defends him.
Again, showing that basic human empathy kicks in when it really counts.
7. When Copper and Tod DON’T become friends again at the end.
Because the world won’t let them and because too much has happened and because LIFE DOESN’T ALWAYS HAVE HAPPY ENDINGS OK?
8. When instead they share a poignant, understated final smile.
And you realize that the greatest moments of understanding and communication in life are often silent.
10. When Widow Tweed leaves Tod in the woods for his own safety.
This scene hurts. A LOT. But it shows us that losing loved ones is sometimes necessary for our maturation.
11. When Tod looks like this as she drives away.
Heartbreakingly capturing the confusion and feeling of total helplessness this kind of moment brings.
- The Dakota Access Pipeline will no longer cross under a river near the Standing Rock Sioux reservation, a major victory for protesters.
- A man was arrested Sunday after he brought a gun into a pizza spot named in a Hillary Clinton conspiracy theory. Here's how "Pizzagate" was spread.
- The death toll from Oakland's warehouse party fire has risen to 33. "We're expecting the worst and hoping for the best," officials said Sunday.
- A woman clapped back at her anti-gay neighbor using festive rainbow Christmas lights 🎄👏