Good And Bad Dental Habits
When we talk about dental health, we usually recall a brushing, flossing, and a dentist doing checking and cleaning of teeth. But the matter of fact is that the dental health is more associated with your dental habits. If you have good dental habits, you will be able to maintain the health of your teeth for quite a long time. And if you have bad dental habits, the health of your teeth and gums will deteriorate.
The mouth-body connection is also not to be overlooked in this regard. When your oral health is not in good state, it is going to have bad impact on your overall health. So, taking care of your oral health with the help of good dental and oral habits is quite important.
The bad dental habits
The list of bad dental habits is as under.
1. One of the bad dental habits is the use of tobacco. Tobacco is used in the form of smokeless tobacco as well as cigarettes. This habit can result in yellowed teeth, bad breath and poor jawbone density. You need to ditch this habit if you want to preserve your dental health.
2. For many people, use of toothbrush with hard bristles makes sense as its abrasive action can remove plaque and germs. But the matter of fact is that it is more harmful when useful. The hard bristles and abrasive brushing can lead to enamel erosion and damage to the gums. It can initiate tooth sensitivity because there will not be a sufficient cover of enamel over the teeth.
3. If you have a habit of chewing ice, you need to quit it right away. The reason is that the sudden cold temperature, which your teeth get exposed to while chewing ice, can lead to a compromised mineral structure of the tooth enamel. And then the hardness of ice can cause cracks and chips. Even if your teeth are not cracked right away, this habit of chewing ice can have serious implications for the tooth structure.
4. If you have a habit of using your teeth as a tooth to open lids, you need to quit this habit immediately. This habit can lead to serious damage to the teeth as well as gums.
Good dental habits
1. One of the good dental habits is to brush your teeth regularly while making sure that you are doing it in the right way. You need to get a brush with soft bristles and make sure that you brush your teeth using gentle brushing action.
2. Brushing is important to clean your teeth but it should not be the only way. Flossing your teeth is equally important because this is the way you can clean those interdental spaces and the area under the gum line. Moreover, flossing stimulates your gums. This stimulation is important for the health of your gums.
3. Make sure that you visit your dentist at least twice in every year. This dental visit will help you to know about the status of your oral health. If there is a problem with your dental or oral health, you will be able to know about it before it starts making things serious.
4. You need to make sure that you are eating healthy foods only. Consuming processed foods once in a while may not be quite troublesome but you need to make sure that your primary diet is contributing in the improvement of your oral and overall health.