Here's the full recipe!
2 packs hot dog buns, finely ground
2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and diced, divided
1 cup whole milk
1 cup heavy whipping cream
5 eggs, slightly beaten
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 cups of heavy cream
1 tablespoon cornstarch
¼ cup of water
¼ cup sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 ounces of apple flavored cognac (optional)
1 cup water
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF (180˚C).
2. Add the ground hot dog buns to a large bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, combine 1 diced apple, whole milk, heavy whipping cream, eggs, sugar, vanilla extract, cinnamon and nutmeg in medium bowl and gently beat.
4. Pour the egg mixture over bread mixture, and thoroughly combine.
Pour mixture into a greased 18x8-inch baking dish.
5. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
6. In a small bowl combine sugar and cinnamon.
7. In a separate bowl, combine cornstarch and ¼ cup water and whisk to combine.
8. Add heavy cream to a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium high heat, stirring occasionally.
9. Reduce heat to low and add the cornstarch mixture stirring constantly.
10. When the mixture has reached desired thickness, add cinnamon sugar mixture and stir until dissolved.
11. Remove pan completely from heat.
12. Stir in cognac.
13. In a small saucepan over medium height, add the water, leftover apple slices, sugar, and cinnamon and stir until a light syrup forms.
14. Pour the sauce over bread pudding and top with pudding sauce and syrup.