1. For the second weekend in a row, social media posts appear to have foiled White House staffers’ attempts to keep the president’s golfing a secret.
2. It all started when President Donald Trump visited his Florida estate, Mar-a-Lago, on the weekend of March 18-19.
3. He had been calling Mar-a-Lago the Winter White House, but on March 17 referred to it as the “Southern White House” because, well, he’s still gonna go down there when it gets warm.
4. On March 18, the president visited Trump International Golf Club. The White House told pool reporter Ben Kamisar of The Hill that Trump would be “be having meetings and phone calls [at the club] before returning to Mar-a-Lago.”
(A member of the media travels with the president as part of the “press pool” to document his activities for the public record).
5. Trump was at the golf club for about three hours before he left, with officials still providing the pool reporter with “no further updates or readouts yet on the president’s time at Trump International Golf Club.”
9. It was only after the picture emerged that White House staff confirmed the president hadn’t just been having meetings at the club.
10. “Have been told that the president took meetings and phone calls at the club and may have stepped out to hit a few balls,” Kamisar, the pool reporter, wrote. “But was not given a confirmation as to whether he played any golf. “
11. On Saturday March 25, the president visited the Trump National Golf Club in Potomac Falls, Virginia.
12. Once again, staff told pool reporters only that he was there for meetings, and they did not provide answers for whether he would play any golf.
13. Then Twitter user Alex Marshall checked out the geotag for the Trump golf club on Instagram and came across this picture from a man named Anthony Bartolomei.
It shows the president in the club wearing what appears to be golf cleats.
16. If that weren’t enough, another Instagram Story from Bartolomei appeared to show the president riding in a golf cart.
After Bartolomei’s pictures circulated online, the White House pool reporter, BuzzFeed News’ own Adrian Carrasquillo, again asked an official if the president played golf.
A Trump official “said they told us all they know, that he had meetings,” Carrasquillo reported.
18. When media reported earlier this month that Trump had made his ninth golf course visit, White House officials angrily pushed back on the reports, saying the president had been meeting with senior staff at the club.
20. During the election campaign, the president vowed to stay at the White House and “work, work, work.”
- Four people were arrested after Trump supporters and protesters clashed during a "Make America Great Again" rally in California.
- The deadly Westminster attack that left four people dead Wednesday began and was over with in 82 seconds, police said Saturday.
- People in Belarus took to the streets and opposed a "social parasites" tax on people who have been unemployed for six months.
- Heads up, Harry Potter fans. You can now get Butterbeer ice cream at your grocery store 🍦✨