2. Among the demonstrations was this protest in Charlotte, North Carolina.
3. That’s where mom Jenny Sowry, her husband Sam, and their two kids headed to make their voices heard.
“I felt like I needed to physically do something so I could come to terms emotionally with what is happening,” Sowry told BuzzFeed News of her decision to march.
She also felt it was important that her children accompany her to the demonstration, so they grow up knowing the importance of standing up for your beliefs.
“They can make their own choices, but I want them to know they can speak up for what they believe in, and I think it’s important for them to see people doing that,” she said. (Sowry asked that her children’s names not be used for this story.)
4. Sowry talked with her 9-year-old son about the march and, inspired by watching the movie Selma, he decided to make a sign reading, “All people are equal.”
5. But then she turned around and saw that her 22-month-old daughter had been making a sign of her own. “She had been watching us make our signs and she had grabbed the markers and she had gone to town on it,” Sowry said. “She obviously had something to say and she did it herself.”
6. At the march on Saturday, Sowry snapped this picture of her daughter proudly holding up her sign.
She uploaded it to Facebook with the caption, “#inherownwords #shespeaksforherself.”
7. Shawn Lent, Sowry’s former colleague and Facebook friend, then shared the picture herself, and it soon went massively viral.
“When I saw my friend’s daughter have the space to express herself and not have a statement forced upon her, I though that is exactly the sort of demonstration we need,” Lent told BuzzFeed News. “Fresh, original, artistic.”
8. The picture was too cute for some. “My uterus!” wrote this woman.
9. “The cuteness,” wrote another.
10. #WokeBaby was born…
11. Many others found the picture inspiring.
12. “My favorite photo.”
14. “The word that keeps coming back to me is ‘hope,’” Sowry said of the viral response to the photo. “It makes people hopeful that there is already a little one who is already speaking her mind.”
“I don’t always know what she’s saying, but she always speaks her mind,” Sowry said.
- Kim Jong Nam, the half-brother of North Korea's leader, was killed with a chemical weapon last week at an airport in Malaysia.
- Caitlyn Jenner told President Trump his administration's rollback of protections for transgender kids was a "disaster" 😳
- Uber's CEO met with more than 100 female engineers on Thursday to discuss sexism and harassment allegations at the company.
- Beyoncé is backing out of Coachella under doctors' advice. But she plans to headline the festival again in 2018 😭🐝