5. On Wednesday, Grande pulled out of a Major League Baseball concert scheduled to take place in Cincinnati, Ohio, on Saturday. The MLB said Demi Lovato would now headline Saturday’s “All Star Concert,” after Grande cancelled over “health issues.”
6. Grande sent BuzzFeed News this statement on Wednesday:
I am EXTREMELY proud to be an American and I’ve always made it clear that I love my county*. What I said in a private moment with my friend, who was buying the donuts, was taken out of context and I am sorry for not using more discretion with my choice of words. As an advocate for healthy eating, food is very important to me and I sometimes get upset by how freely we as Americans eat and consume things without giving any thought to the consequences that it has on our health and society as a whole. The fact that the United States has the highest child obesity rate in the world frustrates me. We need to do more to educate ourselves and our children about the dangers of overeating and the poison that we put into our bodies. We need to demand more from our food industry. However I should of* known better in how I expressed myself; and with my new responsibility to others as a public figure I will strive to be better. As for why I cannot be at the MLB show, I have had emergency oral surgery and due to recovery I cannot attend the show. I hope to make it up to all those fans soon. That being said let me once again apologize if I have offended anyone with my poor choice of words.
*Grande’s representative later corrected this to “country”.
*Grande’s representative later corrected this to “should have”.
- A magnitude-6.2 quake hit central Italy. The mayor of Amatrice, near the epicenter, said "the town isn't here anymore."
- Donald Trump has often claimed to be "the largest real estate developer in New York," but he isn't.
- Facebook says it mistakenly suspended two libertarian groups. It's the network's latest case of suddenly removing content.