1. Wearing nothing but short shorts, a group of Marines and veterans set out on a 13-mile hike on Saturday in San Diego in a bid to raise awareness about military suicides.
2. The vets set out from South Mission Beach Jetty wearing what are known as “silkies” — short shorts that had them turning a lot of heads.
3. The guys walked 22 kilometers carrying 22 kilograms (over 48 pounds) on their backs in a bid to draw attention to the 22 ex-service men and women who die from suicide each day.
4. “Imagine a pub crawl with all your Marine buddies wearing nothing but silkies and rucks on the most crowded and beautiful boardwalk in California. That’s what’s going on here,” the event’s Facebook page says.
5. Retired Marine Capt. Donny O’Malley, who organized the event, wrote the event also aimed to bring veterans together.
“[The event is being held] to get veterans and our supporters together, to put weight on our backs and feel nostalgic, to laugh, to drink, to party, and remind us all that our camaraderie and brotherhood will never die,” he wrote.
6. O’Malley, who served with the Marines for almost six years, told BuzzFeed News he had found hiking therapeutic since leaving the service in October.
7. “As we walked by we were cheered, honked, flashed, and handed money,” he said. “That helped increase the energy and excitement.”
11. March on!
- A luxury event called Fyre Festival has turned into a total shitshow. "I think the festival took on a life of its own," the event's co-founder said 😱
- American Airlines gave workers a raise — to the highest pay in the industry — and Wall Street is furious. The company's stock has been falling since Thursday.
- The new leader of Marine Le Pen's National Front party in France has stepped down amid accusations of Holocaust denial.
- We found an average of about one false statement per day from Trump and his aides throughout the president's first 100 days in office 💯