Photographer Laura Pannack observed nudist group, Young British Naturists, a group for naturists aged under 30 and the name for this body of work, to get an inside look into the daily lives of people who prefer to live sans clothing. On the topic of nudity, Laura explains that “nakedness is a concept as much as it is a state of being, and one wreathed in paradox. With it are bound notions of privacy, self possession, jurisdiction. It can connote innocence or sexuality, purity or depravity. It can signify both power and vulnerability, used to liberate or humiliate.”
21. On the topic of nudity, one YBN member explains, “When all other things are held equal, when nude, a rich person appears no different than a poor person.”
“In the naturist environment, I feel I’m their equal - I’m not better than them, nor they are better than me, we are just human. By removing clothing I feel a barrier between people is gone and I’m more able to meet and to talk to others without the feeling that I or they have something to hide.”
For more photography by Laura Pannack, look through her portfolio at LauraPannack.com.
CORRECTION: The word colony was replaced from the title after discovery that the term is dated and out of use by naturists.
- Kim Jong Nam, the half-brother of North Korea's leader, was killed with a chemical weapon last week at an airport in Malaysia.
- Caitlyn Jenner told President Trump his administration's rollback of protections for transgender kids was a "disaster" 😳
- Uber's CEO met with more than 100 female engineers on Thursday to discuss sexism and harassment allegations at the company.
- Beyoncé is backing out of Coachella under doctors' advice. But she plans to headline the festival again in 2018 😭🐝