1. German artist Katharina Grosse teamed up with the City of Philadelphia’s Mural Arts Program last month to reinvent the typical view commuters observe during their daily train ride.
2. “I need the brilliance of color to get close to people, to stir up a sense of life experience and heighten their sense of presence,” states the artist who has named the series of seven murals psychylustro.
3. To create each mural, the artist spray painted a single color over a section of earth or ruin.
4. The murals can be spotted along railroads just north of Philadelphia.
5. As you can see, it has been a welcome sight for sore eyes.
6. Don’t feel like paying for a train ticket? Many of these locations can be seen on foot.
Friendly reminder: trespassing railroad property is dangerous and it can get you in trouble!
7. And you can start following #psychylustro for some examples of the ride.
8. If you are wondering how this is okay - the artist used water-based paint which is only semi-permanent.
9. MuralArts plans to maintain psychylustro for six months before letting nature runs its course with it.
Or letting other graffiti artists reclaim these spaces.
10. Here you can see some time-lapse of the work in progress.
11. Grosse has completed several other works of art where she similarly paints bright colors onto natural materials, like this work of art titled I Think This Is A Pine Tree.
13. If you REALLY love this kind of stuff, you can even deck yourself out in some Katharina Grosse merchandise!
Weltenbuerger, a Los Angeles-based clothing retailer sells this Grosse-printed shirt for $332.
Graffiti is still illegal, though.
- Chancellor Angela Merkel of Germany has for the first time said that she backs proposals for a partial ban on burqas.
- Mike Pence says the next attorney general will decide whether or not federal charges against Michael Slager will remain.
- The UK prison service is suppressing evidence of corruption among its guards which is fueling violence behind bars.
- Grammy nominations: Beyoncé has earned 9, including Album of the Year. Drake, Rihanna, and Kanye West each got 8 nods 💿🎶