10. Here’s you from the moon:
11. Here’s you from Mars:
12. Here’s you from just behind Saturn’s rings:
13. And here’s you from just beyond Neptune, 4 billion miles away.
To paraphrase Carl Sagan, everyone and everything you have ever known exists on that little speck.
15. And here’s that same sun from the surface of Mars:
24. Here’s one of the galaxies pictured, UDF 423. This galaxy is 10 BILLION light years away. When you look at this picture, you are looking billions of years into the past.
Some of the other galaxies are thought to have formed only a few hundred million years AFTER the Big Bang.
So if you’re ever feeling upset about your favorite show being canceled or the fact that they play Christmas music way too early — just remember…
This is what happens when you zoom out from your home to your solar system.
Just a little bit farther…
And here it is. Here’s everything in the observable universe, and here’s your place in it. Just a tiny little ant in a giant jar.
- The pilot of the jet carrying a Brazilian soccer team chose to skip a refuel stop before crashing in Colombia, killing 71 people.
- Donald Trump has picked retired Gen. James "Mad Dog" Mattis for defense secretary, a four-star general who led the US in Iraq.
- Tennessee's massive wildfires have now killed eleven people and destroyed or damaged more than 700 structures.
- Spanish authorities have accused six professional tennis players of helping to fix 17 matches 🎾💰