2. What makes Thile such a genius? The fact that he can make ANYTHING sound amazing on mandolin.
3. He started out in a little band called Nickel Creek.
4. They released their first album when Chris was 12. They were Grammy nominated by the time he hit 20, and Grammy winners when he turned 22.
5. Then Chris grew up. Got a little older.
8. And he kept making awesome music. The fact is, he makes everything sound good on mandolin. For starters, here’s a bluegrass classic.
Awesome. Predictably awesome.
9. But Thile’s not just a bluegrass guy. You want him to do something bigger? Oh, how about… The Strokes? Yeah, he’s got that.
10. Radiohead? Hell yes.
13. How about some Bach? Yes, yes he can.
15. A jazz collaboration with fellow Genius Grant winner Edgar Meyer? ALL KINDS OF YES.
16. A Bulgarian folk tune played in a super obscure timing structure? Sure, why not?
17. An 18th century Scottish lyrical poem? Against all odds, he’ll crush that, too.
18. Something more modern? Maybe some Britney Spears? Give it to us, Chris.
19. A Josh Ritter cover? With an insane solo? Absolutely.
20. The Cars? Yup, he’s even got that, too.
- Iraq's prime minister has ordered the arrest of anti-government protesters who breached Baghdad's fortified "Green Zone" and occupied the parliament building.
- Daniel J. Berrigan, an American priest and poet famous for leading anti-Vietnam War protests, has died at the age 94.
- U.S. President Barack Obama zinged the media and presidential contenders before dropping the mic at his final White House Correspondents' Dinner 🇺🇸