4. And on the anniversary of that raid, orchestrated by Confederate leader William Quantrill, some Missourians celebrated Quantrill’s actions. This family burned Kansas merchandise in celebration:
@The_Antlers celebrating 150 years
6. Others chose to tweet:
Today we celebrate the sesquicentennial of Quantrill’s raid. It’s a good day to be a Tiger! #mizzourah/ Via
A very happy 150th Quantrill Day to the fine Missourians out there. Relish in victory./ Via
150 yrs. ago today General Quantrill did us all a favor and burned Lawrence to the ground. #neverforget #MIZ #Fku/ Via
RIP to my homeboy @WQuantrill1863, a real American hero #burnlawrence
Happy burn kansas day #rockchalkchickenhawk #fuckkU/ Via
Happy #Quantrill day!!! 150 years ago today, Missourians first walked into Lawrence and proudly were able to say “Scoreboard”! #burnlawrence/ Via
Today is 150 years since Quantrill’s raid on Lawrence, Kansas. He led troops to loot, kill and burn anything in sight. Today, I drink to him/ Via
15. A group of reenactors in Lawrence also live-tweeted the events of the day, including eerie tweets from an account in the voice of Quantrill himself:
WE RIDE! BURN LAWRENCE TO THE GROUND! DEATH TO JAYHAWKERS! #QR1863/ Via
Hurrah for Quantrill! Hurrah for the South! Hurrah for Dixie! #QR1863/ Via
Never look back! We have friends along the way and a victory celebration awaiting at home. #QR1863/ Via
18. But people in Lawrence took the day in stride. One local brew pub, Free State Brewing Co., had a special beer on tap, aptly titled Phoenix Rising.
Free State Brewing
If you’re not drinking a Phoenix Rising today then you’re doing it wrong. #QR1863
- "Moonlight" won Best Picture at the Oscars, but they accidentally gave it to "La La Land" first 😳
- Philip Bilden, the businessman nominated by President Trump to be secretary of the Navy, has withdrawn himself from consideration.
- Actor Bill Paxton has died at 61. He starred in classics including "Twister" and "Titanic."
- The Nokia brick phone is making a comeback — it's been reimagined with a colored screen, but the game Snake hasn't gone anywhere 🐍📲