With the release of their career-high, number one new album “AM”, Arctic Monkeys have reassumed their place at music’s top table. And their singer Alex Turner has graduated to rock’s top lust object. He’s now the kind of person about whom people say things like this.
The only thing that could make me feel better right now is if Alex Turner appeared on my doorstep with a can of cream soda and flowers
100% in love with Alex Turner.
ALEX TURNER CAN HIT IT ANY DAY
But it wasn’t always this way. It has been a long journey for Alex to get here. Let us journey back across his many, many looks.
9. Back then he was less Rock Colossus, more Well-Mannered Sixth-Former.
This didn’t really matter. It was All About The Music.
11. Yet increased success would see a slow but sure expansion of his hair.
An early career high, here winning the Mercury Prize for debut “Whatever People Say I Am, That’s What I’m Not”, saw it spike like Cameron Diaz in There’s Something About Mary.
13. Until it fully bloomed into the desert sheepdog era.
The band’s time out in the Mojave Desert with Josh Homme making third album “Humbug” saw them let it all hang out, literally.
14. He started to hang around Brooklyn a lot.
15. It was around this time that he started to be photographed smoking.
The surest sign of an insouciant rock star swagger emerging.
16. There was a brief experiment with a tasteful moptop.
But the film school look was necessarily brief. Here he is pictured at the BFI premiere for Richard Ayoade’s movie Submarine, for which he composed the soundtrack.
17. Then came the Imperial Rock Star Phase.
It was only really at this point, around 2011, that Alex graduated into proper sex symbol territory, with customary leather jacket and quiff complementing a man who had grown completely into his looks.
18. That majestic quiff once again, from a different angle.
19. And in close-up.
It is really quite remarkable.