There's no denying that EastEnders has been down in the dumper for some time now. Ratings have been on the slide for over a year, and even returnee Samantha Womack recently gave an interview recently admitting how bad things had got.
But there are shoots of recovery. Former storyliner Dominic Treadwell-Collins is back as producer and has already started wielding his axe. And some of those changes are already on screen. But what else could he do to liven things up?
1. Let go of this ridiculous notion that Max Branning is some kind of desirable romantic lead.
2. Give Shirley more to do.
3. If you're going to bring back iconic characters then at least give them something to do.
4. And pack Little Dennis off to boarding school while you're at it.
5. Get Phil back on the crack.
6. Do more with this woman.
7. But at the same time just accept that you don't really do humour very well.
8. Pull something big out for Christmas.
9. Send this woman loopy again.
10. Get rid of this lot.
Treadwell-Collins has already started clearing out deadwood in the form on Sam, Ava, Kirsty, Carl and (quite bizarrely) Poppy. But there is still work to be done. And now that Danny Bloody Dyer is joining, there's no real use for Shane Richie anymore. Getting him back with Kat again would just be tiresome.