Warning: This post contains discussion of rape, sexual assault, racism, and ableism.
A lot has changed in the last couple of decades. Huge strides have been made in the realm of social justice, and certain things just don't fly anymore. In result, movies from the 20th century and early 2000s are likely to have some scenes or characters that are just horrifically inappropriate.
1. "Jim shares a nude video of Nadia on the internet in American Pie. Everyone just laughed it off. And even worse, Nadia was the only one who was punished. She got sent back to her home country. Her reputation and her whole study abroad year were ruined because of some horny assholes egging each other on."
3. "James Bond rapes Pussy Galore in Goldfinger."
4. "Revenge of the Nerds. The scene where Lewis has sex with Betty because she thinks he's Stan definitely isn't cool today."
7. "Grease. That scene where Danny is pressuring Sandy in the car. And just his entire behavior toward her. Ew."
8. "Tiptoes. For a movie made in 2003, it’s surprisingly offensive toward little people. Having to watch Gary Oldman waddle around on his knees with a fake hump on his shoulder (which is essentially a wadded up T-shirt shoved under the one he’s already wearing) is just too much."
9. "Teachers with Nick Nolte. A warm and fuzzy teacher helps a student get an abortion. She is knocked up by his buddy, the gym teacher, and they all want to keep it quiet. This was just a side story to show how much this teacher 'cared' about his students... So gross."
10. "A lot of classic Disney movies were super racist. There were the crows in Dumbo..."
11. "...and also a whole segment in Peter Pan with a bunch of Native American people singing a song called 'What Makes the Red Man Red?'"
12. "Animal House, with its rape-contemplation scene."
13. "Blank Check. An adult woman kisses the little boy on the lips for waaaay longer than I'm comfortable with. Imagine if the genders were reversed."
14. "That scene in the first Rocky movie where he seduces Adrian by coercing her into his apartment after she's said no, physically blocking the exit when she tries to leave, taking his clothes off without any encouragement, and then kissing her without any consent as she clearly tries to resist."
15. "The way Natalie is constantly body-shamed in Love Actually."
16. "And finally, when Vince Vaughn is forced to have sex with Gloria in Wedding Crashers."
Some submissions have been edited for length and/or clarity.