Fast food might be cheap and convenient, but it's far from perfect. In the rush for quantity, quality is often sacrificed.
Here are some of the most unsettling replies:
1. "Waffle House cook here. The grits can sit for hours and managers will try to keep them looking fresh even though they cost next to nothing to buy."
2. "Don’t get decaf coffee at Burger King. Maybe this was just the one I worked at, but we didn’t actually brew any decaf. Whenever someone ordered it, my manager would just have me water down the regular coffee."
3. "I used to work at Jack in the Box. I don't know why anyone orders the bacon cheddar potato wedges. It's fake cheese with fake bacon on fried potatoes. I'm trying to remember the ingredient list on the cheese, but I distinctly recall that the packaging did not say it contained dairy. It also smelled like feet."
4. "I used to work at Panda Express. Don't buy any shrimp entrees if you actually want a full meal. They purposely use a smaller serving spoon to make it appear like you're getting a lot of food. I believe six shrimps per serving max was the policy."
5. "Don't order any of the Coffee Bean drinks at Krispy Kreme. They never ever change the ice chest."
6. "I worked at Long John Silvers in 2006. We microwaved the 'baked cod on a bed of rice' on a paper plate."
7. "Tropical Smoothie Cafe. All of the smoothies, except the detox ones, have SO much sugar in them. You’re not being healthy by going there."
8. "This was back in the day, but my first job was McDonald's. One day we got a call from a sister store asking if we'd had any complaints about our shakes. I said no. They said if we did, refer it to them. Turns out a mouse had died in the machine at some point and had been chewed up by the internal mixer. I don't get shakes from there anymore and I eye the ice cream especially hard."
9. "Subway’s meat all comes packaged. No surprise really. However, when you open up the package of turkey, you get hit with a wave of farts. The turkey smells like real, actual, human farts. My manager even warned me about it before I opened my first package. Also, when we made the tuna salad we would have to weigh out a pound of mayo to mix with the fish."
10. "Burgers from Sheetz are microwaved. The grill marks are fake. Bacon is microwaved too. Also, don't drink the fucking peanut butter shakes. One particular peanut butter shake has nearly 2,000 calories in it."
11. "I worked in several Tim Hortons as a teenager — keep in mind this was around 16 years ago. The Iced Capp machine never got cleaned. Never ever. One of the girls I worked with went into anaphylaxis after making herself an Iced Capp at the end of her shift. She had a severe penicillin allergy."
12. "I worked at an AMC theater for two years. Do not buy the coffee unless it's early morning when we first open. Otherwise you're gonna drink coffee that's been sitting out for a solid five hours, at least."
13. "Former Applebee's employee here. It's not quite fast food, but fast and casual dining. So much of the food is in frozen vacuum sealed packages that are thawed in vats of boiling water or microwaved. The things that need to look nice spend 1–2 minutes on each side on a grill for appearance, but they are NOT fresh (think steaks, burgers, and chicken breasts)."
14. "I'm a former Firehouse Subs shift manager. Don't order anything that isn't sliced meat or the meatball. The steak is frozen and greasy. The chicken is grilled and then frozen and packaged. Just not worth the $12."
15. "If you order any of the all-day breakfast items at McDonald's after around 1 p.m., it will most likely be a few hours old."
16. "I worked at Starbucks. Nobody who values their health should order a white mocha anything. That white mocha shit is absurdly unhealthy and disgusting to work with."
17. "I used to work as a server at Outback. The bloomin' onion costs around 70 cents to make and they sell it for like $8."
18. And finally, "Back around 2003–2004, my ex-wife worked for Wendy's. When they were about to fry a new batch of chicken nuggets, the other employees would just dip the bottom of the plastic bag into the fryer so that it would melt and the nuggets would fall out. They were too fucking lazy to open the bag properly. I never ate there after hearing that."
Some replies have been edited for length and/or clarity.