1. "Ms. Jackson" by Outkast was an apology to Erykah Badu and her mother after Badu and Andre 3000 broke up.
2. "California Gurls" by Katy Perry was aimed at Jay-Z and Alicia Keys as a response to their "Empire State of Mind." She wanted there to be a song to represent California.
3. "The Warning" by Eminem was a clapback at Mariah’s "Obsessed."
4. "Killing Me Softly" by Norman Gimbel was inspired by a young singer named Lori Lieberman who had seen Don McLean perform and told Gimbel that it was an intensely moving experience. So in essence, it's about Don McLean.
5. "Fix You" by Coldplay was written by Chris Martin for Gwyneth Paltrow (his wife at the time) after her father died.
6. "Can't Hold Us Down" by Christina Aguilera was a response to Eminem's negative comments about her.
7. "My Way" by Calvin Harris was about his ex-girlfriend, Taylor Swift, and the struggles of their relationship.
8. "Cupid’s Chokehold" by the Gym Class Heroes was written about Katy Perry. She used to date the lead singer, Travie McCoy.
9. And "Circle the Drain" by Katy Perry was about Travie McCoy's drug addiction.
10. "Don’t" by Ed Sheeran was about Ellie Goulding cheating on him with Niall from One Direction.
11. "Wedding Bells" by Nick Jonas was about his ex-girlfriend Miley Cyrus's engagement to Liam Hemsworth.
12. "Cry Me a River" by Justin Timberlake was about his breakup with Britney Spears.
13. Taylor Swift wrote "Better Than Revenge" about Camilla Belle dating Joe Jonas (her ex).
14. The song "Heart-Shaped Box" was about Courtney Love and her vagina.
15. "Madness" by Muse was written by lead singer Matt Bellamy about his relationship with Kate Hudson. It was inspired by a fight they had.
16. "Dear John" by Taylor Swift was about her ex, John Mayer.
17. Mayer's song "Paper Doll" was allegedly his rebuttal.
18. "Boyfriend" by Ashlee Simpson was aimed at Lindsay Lohan for accusing Simpson of stealing her then-boyfriend, Wilmer Valderrama.
19. When Phil Collins wrote "You’ll Be In My Heart" for Tarzan, he wrote the lyrics for his daughter (Lily Collins) and has often referred to it as her song.
20. "Cinderella" by Mac Miller, a song that has lyrics about very intimate bedroom moments, was about Ariana Grande.
21. A verse in Carly Simon's "You're So Vain" was about Warren Beatty.
22. And "I Kissed a Girl" by Katy Perry was inspired by Miley Cyrus. Miley said she heard Katy say on the radio that the song was about her.
Some submissions have been edited for clarity and grammar.