3. People’s Daily Believes Kim Jong-Eun Voted Sexiest Man Alive
Y’all probably remember this one: People’s Daily, yet another nationally syndicated state-run news organization, fell for this ingenious Onion article last year. The Onion even got in on the fun after they saw the re-post, writing: “For more coverage on The Onion’s Sexiest Man Alive 2012, Kim Jong-Un, please visit our friends at the People’s Daily in China, a proud Communist subsidiary of The Onion, Inc. Exemplary reportage, comrades.” Bless their souls.
For a timeline of how this became “news” in China see this Shanghaiist article.
Recently, Xinhua and Global Times posted a slideshow entitled “Actual Record of Female Inmate’s Execution - Exposing the World’s Darkest Side.” Except the slides were not of a real execution, but of some lethal injection fetish porn. I can’t begin to imagine how this happened… but it did. I’d have thought the doctor’s haircut would’ve been an initial tip-off.
Xinhua, one of the leading state-run news sources in China, ran a story about MS. No satire here, but observe the image the editors picked to accompany the story. Does that head look familiar? Like all of these editorial gaffes, this photo was taken down quite soon after it (finally) came to the editors’ attention that a) that is not a real X-ray and b) the photo wasn’t attributed appropriately.
Now the journalists of China are not the only ones who have fallen for the masterful satire of Borowitz and The Onion. Rachel Maddow got caught believing ChristWire.com’s article about Sarah Palin supporting a U.S.-led invasion of Egypt in 2011; Fox News reported on an Onion article alleging Obama wrote a rambling 75,000 word e-mail; and people on Facebook fall for this shit every single day. Still, Chinese news sources are fighting an uphill battle when it comes to legitimacy and reliability, and none of this helps the matter. Thankfully, I’m pretty sure these kinds of screw-ups aren’t disappearing as long as media outlets around the world continue to value speed over accuracy, so we can all continue to…
- The 36 victims in the Oakland warehouse fire were trapped with "no way out" in America's deadliest blaze in over a decade.
- UK intelligence chief says he's worried by rival countries' attempts to undermine democracy through propaganda, cyberattacks.
- Dozens of employees and patients say the US's biggest psychiatric chain locks up people for insurance money.
- This dad had the most adorable freak out to his family when he met his first alpaca 😂