2. Niki doesn’t use any artificial light sources when exploring, but instead uses subtle HDR technique to capture the often dimly lit locations.
A stained glass window at “Chateau Clochard”, 15th century castle located in a small French village. Sadly a fire ravaged the remains of the castle in 2012.
3. Niki told BuzzFeed: “The fascination for abandoned places started when I was a kid. There was an old abandoned house with a factory close to my town.”
This abandoned late 18th century chapel is definitely the “holy grail of urban exploration (urbex)”.
9. “I don’t use any artificial light sources but use subtle HDR technique to capture the broad spectrum of natural light in the dim lit locations.”
An abandoned veterinary school basement. The jars are filled with animal remains like intestines, hearts, lungs and severed dog heads submerged in formaldehyde.
16. “However roaming around a former 5 star luxurious hotel I encountered so many strange things that I was really glad when I stood outside again.”
“Theatre des Reines” is a well-hidden abandoned art-deco ballroom in Versaille, France, totally unrecognizable from the outside.
17. “Doors slamming shut, curtains moving and a lot of camera problems. Batteries completely drained while they were charged just hours before.”
“Church of the 9 Ghosts” - An abandoned church inhabited by nine ‘ghosts’ sitting in the pews dressed in wrinkly white cloths. Spooky.