4. Before 1856, the color purple came from snail mucus.
7. Mauve was created by accident in 1856.
In 1856, a British chemistry student named William Henry Perkin accidentally created the first synthetic dye. The color of the dye was mauve, and it quickly became popular after Queen Victoria wore a mauve silk gown to the Royal Exhibition of 1862.
9. The Aztecs of Mexico made red dye by crushing insects called cochineals.
- Donald Trump, who wrote a book about his ability to get deals done, lost in his highest stakes negotiation yet — the battered GOP health care bill.
- A viral Instagram post falsely claimed 14 black girls went missing over 24 hours in Washington, DC, but that doesn't mean there isn't a problem. Now lawmakers are taking action.
- Apple says a hacking group that's threatening to wipe hundreds of millions of iPhones has not breached its iCloud system 📱
- Hi Stranger: A bizarre short film featuring a naked mumbling figurine is making everyone on the internet uncomfortable 🙃